Our valued sponsor

Doomsday portfolio for Dubai expat (offshore banking/brokerage option)

troubled soul

Pro Member
Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
1) Singapore
Citibank IPB Singapore
Standard Chartered Singapore
DBS Bank Limited
OCBC Bank
United Overseas Bank Limited (UOB)

2)Switzerland
UBS Group AG
Credit Suisse Group AG
Julius Baer Group
Vontobel
Pictet Group
Lombard Odier
J. Safra Sarasin
Union Bancaire Privee
EFG International
Swissquote

3)HongKong
HSBC Bank
Hang Seng Bank
Standard Chartered Hong Kong Limited
Bank of China

4)Isle of Man
HSBC expat
Standard Bank
Barclays Bank
Nedbank
RBS International

5)Liechtenstein
LGT Group
Liechtensteinische Landesbank
VP Bank AG
Bank Frick & Co.
Banque Havilland

6)Denmark
Saxobank

7)USA
Charles Schwab Corporation
Interactive Brokers
HSBC Bank USA
Silicon Valley Bank

8)Luxembourg
BGL BNP Paribas

9)Mauritus
MauBank Ltd
Bank One

10)Cook Islands
Capital Security Bank Ltd.

11)Bahamas/Bermuda
Butterfield Bank

12)South Africa
Absa Group Limited
FirstRand Bank
EasyEquities

13)Canada
Questrade

13)Dubai based Foreign Representative BANK
BNP Paribas
Industrial & Commercial Bank of China
Deutsche Bank AG
KEB Hana Bank
Credit Agricloe
Société Générale
Investec

Nice varied list. Yeah why doomsday? Do you mean banks and brokers that will be around if there was a severe problem with financial system?

You don't mean if a comment hit the earth or nuclear war...lol?

Reactions: troubled soul
Sorry for My bad English... I am talking any black Swan event...That nobody can predict... Particularly in Dubai...Not for whole financial system......
Doomsday in Dubai. is ...Like Fight in-between Ruler Family....Games of thrones type of drama in Ruler Family...Any war or terrorist attack...recent houthi advancement type. things...
Any Crazy law that badly affect expat....Dispute with local or Government......

Ahh ok I see. In that case keep nothing in Dubai other than money for living expenses.

War is coming to the middle east...

Did it ever leave.

Never mind making sure your assets are safe you need to make sure you are safe. I said it before that you need to look at UAE on a map and see the problems with an escape route out of it by land, sea and air - none are easy in middle of conflict :confused:.

I don't think so - your bank also holds the share (so would a broker) so unless you hold shares directly (through the market exchange) there is always a risk.
in case of bankruptcy your assets like shares, ETFs, bonds, and more are protected and not part of their assets. A broker does not increase their asset on their balance sheet when you buy equity. Broker can lend, if not using the DTC (btw IBKR can do that) for US shares, but in any case our assets will be transferred to the new bank or broker.

in case of bankruptcy your assets like shares, ETFs, bonds, and more are protected and not part of their assets. A broker does not increase their asset on their balance sheet when you buy equity. Broker can lend, if not using the DTC (btw IBKR can do that) for US shares, but in any case our assets will be transferred to the new bank or broker.

Some brokers do not segregate the customer accounts from their own assets. Same for banks. I would assume most reputable brokers and banks actually segregate so that should not be an issue.

Singapore have CDP Securities Account
IMO all country should follow this model for retail customer safety......
This model is not exactly an investors dream: You buy shares and the broker transfers them to CDP. As a result you will have two accounts with two separate KYC and it is all for a one single country (and maybe only for amsingke stock).
So, think further: You buy local stocks at exchanges in CH, SE, NL, UK, SG, HK, GE, CA, US, MX .... and all need a separate CDP account, if we go by the gorgeous Singapore system. No, thank you.
Better look for a reliable and stable banking partner who really segregates the assets.

Some brokers do not segregate the customer accounts from their own assets. Same for banks. I would assume most reputable brokers and banks actually segregate so that should not be an issue.
The only country where customer investment funds are really segregated is Switzerland. An old style private bank such as Pictet is your best choice. Of course you pay dearly for the privilege of having such an “insurance”

No they are not… When securities are held in a margin account (and nearly all of the client funds are put there) then you could be in trouble

Latest Threads