Our valued sponsor

Question EU resident seeking optimal tax setup for corp/freelance work?

Gman92

Jan 25, 2022
N/A
Visit site
I am a SWE that is currently running my own company in the Nordics. But as most of you know the taxes here are extremely high (and the country is going to s**t, but that's another topic).

I've been looking to move abroad and also optimizing my taxes along the way.

In a optimal world I'd like to spend about half the year in a country in EU where I have my "base" and then the rest of the year traveling, I like SEA.

I've looked into the "obvious" ones with Portugal NHR and the like. But with social security, CIT etc it adds up to what I believe are too high taxes for my liking.

Now I know that for example Estonia have their e-residency program where you can setup a company there, and as long as you are paying yourself a salary and you're not a resident in Estonia you pay 0% tax.
But then the issue is, where should you be a resident?

My first thought was, oh, maybe this is where Portugal comes into play? Under the NHR 20% income I could maybe get away with a clean 20% on the income via my estonian company.

But I'm unsure how this would work for the Portugese authorities? Since I'd be doing the "work" from a place in Portugal. then that would count as me doing most of my work in portugal, thus making me liable for the rest of the taxes and SS.

So my question is this, what is a good way to setup a company + tax residency to lower my taxes working as a consulting SWE within EU?

I might add that my clients are fine working with companies outside EU, but then you have to think about VAT and more. So having a company within the EU seems like the easier option?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Latest Threads