Our valued sponsor

Europe inflation hurting my profits?

uranium

Pro Member
Dec 5, 2022
Taiwan
Visit site
If I own EURO STOXX 50 and this year it made me 6% profit but inflation is 5% in all europe that means I made only 1% inflation free profit
What is the solution?
In 2020 inflation was 2% and this was Europe target for long term!
Should I be worried in the future?
Do you think inflation will be controlled by Europe and put down to 2% ?
I can't believe people still living with 5% inflation and no revolution yet.

Reactions: wellington
inflation is a vector
inflation is strictly individual
"official" inflation is manipulated fake number based on calculation that is frequently changing to serve the political purpose and at the same time the highest possible number they dare to publish
depends on angle of view - every disaster is an opportunity as well

sure, but it doesn't matter - everything has it's cost

What is the solution?
buying something that cannot get inflated and has the best properties for you

me neither

are here any fans of Atlas shrugged?

If I own EURO STOXX 50 and this year it made me 6% profit but inflation is 5% in all europe that means I made only 1% inflation free profit
What is the solution?
Bitcoin, real assets, commodities, precious metals, stocks in businesses that benefit or are robust to inflation.
Yes
Haha, no, they can't cut spending, then you get a lot of angry pensioners - who vote. So they got to print to cover ever increasing spending above tax receipts, and that leads to inflation.
Also 5% is just the official numbers which may well be manipulated to the downside. Anyway it's your personal inflation that counts for you. Check how prices changed since last year on the stuff you consume.

• Wow
Reactions: uranium
What is the solution?
Maybe you get divs as well not only cap gains. So you can add this up.
But if you have 0% divs and cap gains are 6%, yes your profit of this year in real terms is 1%.
Its ok, it has been very shitty like last year. But thats normal in investing biz, you sometimes have a few years which are not so good.
Best to look over 5-10 years.

But lets say you have not had good gains over a few more years, maybe its a good time to crucially analyze your portfolio and add some Bitcoin (the national currency of the biggest internet only nation having an isolated political system to national fiat currencies or other altcoins, which have similar political systems to a modern nation state) to it and outright ommodities or commodity producing emerging market companies (tricky, you need some time and effort for smooth execution) etc etc.
One other thing could be to critically analyze the underlying currency (eur) of your stocks and ditch euro partially and instead switch stocks primarily domiciled in places outside euro, e.g. chf/nok/gbp if you want to stay in Europe the geographical spot.

They are incompetent at best, pure evil at worst. Wont be reached in real terms. Maybe they can put on a show to display this but it wont be fun unless one likes motor oil and bug meat.
Yes and no, the future is unknown. Tides turn fast, so need to worry too much. Just be very critical and agile to act fast, should smth change.
Inflation kills the social cohesion, so keep that in mind. Its not an end of world doomsday thing but still smth to consider.
No. It never will as long as the current structure stays. It cannot since the debt is way too high. Same for usd. Way too much debt.
After the debt has been inflated (or defaulted), it will be different.
Inflated will be the easy choice, defaults are hard since politicians need to select who pays the default while inflation everyone pays it clandestinely while the culprits pay the least and the poor pay the most (so this is preferred by the ruling structure).
Might be possible to profit from this too but then you gonna be hunted down.
Its mostly hidden, thats why we should eat bugs and plant based or lab meat burgers. In the not so distant years it became less hidden, maybe with the delicious bug meat it can be credibly manipulated down again, thats possible.
But it wont be for "real", meaning you will still feel cheated and your life style be down bad in real terms.

No revolution soon as can be witnessed in Argentina or Turkey. There is still a lot of upside in Europe regarding inflation. Its only logical since they are already like any banana republic (arbitrarily enforcement of laws, "weird" laws, only cronies who profit, masses which get ducked on the regular, heavy propaganda), so the currency following this trajectory is only a matter of time.

Revolutions also primarily happen if people are convinced the next step thereafter will be one up (which might be a fallacy), not because its constantly down (which is the mood in Europe).
Europe is also in a pretty bad spot, being ducked hard by their master Usa, but then at the same time cheap commodities by the Brics dont flow well any more. Demographics is horrible too and the currency very sick and structurally unsound.

Id mentally prepare for like 20% or more real inflation in the near future in the things you like the most (what this can be is what they currently want to ban/restrict/deride/demonize).

Last edited:
What is the solution?
If you want to beat inflation you have to search for riskier investments, a new war emerges almost every month so the era of nice profit by investing in index funds are over.

The real inflation is much higher, but it doesn't matter at all, people don't start revolutions even with 100% or 1000% inflation.
People start revolutions when they have nothing to lose.

Reactions: jafo
Maybe you get divs as well not only cap gains. So you can add this up.
But if you have 0% divs and cap gains are 6%, yes your profit of this year in real terms is 1%.
Its ok, it has been very shitty like last year. But thats normal in investing biz, you sometimes have a few years which are not so good.
Best to look over 5-10 years.

But lets say you have not had good gains over a few more years, maybe its a good time to crucially analyze your portfolio and add some Bitcoin (the national currency of the biggest internet only nation having an isolated political system to national fiat currencies or other altcoins, which have similar political systems to a modern nation state) to it and outright ommodities or commodity producing emerging market companies (tricky, you need some time and effort for smooth execution) etc etc.
One other thing could be to critically analyze the underlying currency (eur) of your stocks and ditch euro partially and instead switch stocks primarily domiciled in places outside euro, e.g. chf/nok/gbp if you want to stay in Europe the geographical spot.

They are incompetent at best, pure evil at worst. Wont be reached in real terms. Maybe they can put on a show to display this but it wont be fun unless one likes motor oil and bug meat.

Yes and no, the future is unknown. Tides turn fast, so need to worry too much. Just be very critical and agile to act fast, should smth change.
Inflation kills the social cohesion, so keep that in mind. Its not an end of world doomsday thing but still smth to consider.

No. It never will as long as the current structure stays. It cannot since the debt is way too high. Same for usd. Way too much debt.
After the debt has been inflated (or defaulted), it will be different.
Inflated will be the easy choice, defaults are hard since politicians need to select who pays the default while inflation everyone pays it clandestinely while the culprits pay the least and the poor pay the most (so this is preferred by the ruling structure).
Might be possible to profit from this too but then you gonna be hunted down.

Its mostly hidden, thats why we should eat bugs and plant based or lab meat burgers. In the not so distant years it became less hidden, maybe with the delicious bug meat it can be credibly manipulated down again, thats possible.
But it wont be for "real", meaning you will still feel cheated and your life style be down bad in real terms.

No revolution soon as can be witnessed in Argentina or Turkey. There is still a lot of upside in Europe regarding inflation. Its only logical since they are already like any banana republic (arbitrarily enforcement of laws, "weird" laws, only cronies who profit, masses which get ducked on the regular, heavy propaganda), so the currency following this trajectory is only a matter of time.

Revolutions also primarily happen if people are convinced the next step thereafter will be one up (which might be a fallacy), not because its constantly down (which is the mood in Europe).
Europe is also in a pretty bad spot, being ducked hard by their master Usa, but then at the same time cheap commodities by the Brics dont flow well any more. Demographics is horrible too and the currency very sick and structurally unsound.

Id mentally prepare for like 20% or more real inflation in the near future in the things you like the most (what this can be is what they currently want to ban/restrict/deride/demonize).
You are right. I missed the dividends part
Historic dividend yields
Period Dividend in EUR Dividend yield in %
1 Year EUR 1.38 3.91%
2022 EUR 1.13 2.58%
2021 EUR 0.90 2.48%
2020 EUR 0.78 2.04%
2019 EUR 1.15 3.79%
That means I made 1% cap gain + 3.91%
So my total profit this year is 4.91%
Please confirm if my calculations are correct

UK aggragate compounded inflation since 2020 is something like 27%
US aggregate compounded inflation since 2020 is something like 15%

I'd imagine the EU aggregate compounded is something like 30-35%

How do you get away from this?

Depends on where your customer base is, if it's in the European Union, then the only thing you can do is find somewhere to base the company but be able to sell into the EU but have less direct taxes, thus higher profits.

If its outside of the EU then you should re-focus the business location, and your own location.

Dependent you'd want to invest in overseas emerging markets which have strong commodity bases and in-demand exports (essential) which should result in, higher nominal growth (volatility) of the invested amount, strengthening currency (against the Euro), and protected from Euro currency debasement.

The Euro doesn't really come on our radar (apart from transacting through), UK likewise, but even natural hedges against currency debasement don't work if they are unproductive.

For example.

Gold is down 4% annually against currency debasement back to 2013, but nominal rise in gold is up.
Real Estate is down 2.5% annually against currency debasement back to 2013, but nominal growth in real estate has risen.

As the FT recently reported, even though property has risen, it's actually down 12% since 2020 in real terms.

If you can find where you can outpace debasement, then outpacing inflation is part of the process.

Historically that has been since 2013 in the Nasdaq, and in Crypto, one thing to consider about Crypto, is its like Gold in the sense its a bearer asset, but being digital its everywhere but nowhere, the ideal hedge (historically though short history) whilst also portable in the event of a economic/societal collapse.

Latest Threads