Our valued sponsor

Facebooks messenger encrypted - what a joke !!

EliasIT

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Lifetime
Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised that no one else seems to have noticed that Facebook, in their messenger, states that communication is now secure because they have encrypted the connection. This is both misleading and leads people to believe that they can communicate without META or anyone else being able to see their information!

Reactions: jafo
What's wrong with E2EE (End-to-End Encryption)? They use it for WhatsApp (also Meta/Facebook) already and it sure seems like no one can eavesdrop on this conversations, without also compromising one of the involved devices. The cases I've heard of where WhatsApp was eavesdropped turned out to be compromised devices and/or people leaking data.

I'm not saying to use Facebook for your world domination, though. The problem is it's unverifiable E2EE since it's not open source. That's why you should stick to reputable apps/services like Session, Signal, and Matrix for your sensitive conversations.

I'm surprised that no one else seems to have noticed that Facebook
It was all over tech media in December when it was rolled out.

Most people who use Facebook don't care (usually due to ignorance). The people who care aren't using Facebook for sensitive conversations. At best, they might see it as a small, potential nicety added to Facebook Messenger when they're forced to use it to message some old relative or contact a small business on Facebook.

Latest Threads