Our valued sponsor

Gibraltar company vehicle registration

David R

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi to the forum, my first post here :)

I have a Gibraltar ltd company and have purchased a new vehicle from the UK under export plates.

I live within the EU but am in the process of shifting my residency at the moment, whilst also needing to register the vehicle 'somewhere' and get EU-wide insurance.

I was hoping to register the vehicle in Gib as a company vehicle, with valid insurance to drive the car legally around europe, as I travel and move around A LOT! I don't see any info about this on the Gib Govt. website, only a brief page on individuals importing vehicles, nothing about company importation and registration.

Does anyone have any experience, knowledge or information they could share?

Thanks in advance.
DR

welcome aboard man ;)

I don't know about Gibraltar and why you exported the vehicle. Wouldn't it be cheaper to simply have the vehicle registered in the UK and get insurance there?

Not really because I don't have any residency in the UK. I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression you need to declare a UK residency address as the registered keeper. Also, when you register in the UK you have annual road tax and MOT (which is a bit of a pain if your car is 1500km from Dover ;)
I know you can file a SORN, but I was told that's not strictly legit if you are driving the car abroad.
I think I may have found a better option with Andorra, getting tourist plates there. Insurance may be a little more than UK (but better coverage) but import duty is a LOT less

Reactions: andreas
I don't think it is possible !

There are only two ways to get a GIbraltar license plate, the first one would be to buy a car in Gibraltar...

You have to be a GIbraltar resident to import a car in GIbraltar and get a license plate.

No ways to get Gibraltar license plate using a company.

In your case, the best Jurisdiction does not look to be GIbraltar but Bulgaria:

Taxation of motor vehicle expenses in Bulgaria - Tax law in bulgaria

Reactions: andreas

Latest Threads