Our valued sponsor

Instant citizenship through marriage with a capeverdian.

The title says it all.
Does anyone (male if possible) have experience acquiring Cape Verde citizenship by marriage?
If so, could you tell me how it went?
Theoretically, it is enough to get married in one day and apply for citizenship the next day...

Regards!

I saw, from a report on another forum, that the Cape Verde authorities make the process very difficult, being almost impossible... Especially for men.
They demand things that are out of the ordinary and prescribed by law.
I hope someone can confirm or deny it.
Best thing to do is to try. Nothing can go wrong with a marriage… or not? bor&%#

Theoretically, it is enough to get married in one day and apply for citizenship the next day...

Regards!

Do they offer instant divorce also or do you need dual consent for divorce? ns2

Just a few things as I have experience in both countries:

1. Cabo Verde: It is instant indeed. But consider this... CV is like a small neighborhood where everybody knows everyone. Like one of those little villages that you see in horror movies where the population count is always that exact number?! :-D That's CV.... Very small community and word gets around. But yes, it is instant, processing time is a few months and I have contacts there. Your best bet however if you want to go the CV route is to find someone OUTSIDE of CV. The person does NOT have to be residing in CV or nor do you!
Hint #1: Portugal has a major population of CVs.
Hint #2: Marrying a CV in Portugal is out of sight, out of mind and you can get all your paperwork processed at a CV embassy in Portugal or in any other country where CV has an embassy.

2. Argentina: Indeed, also, their constitution allows "instant registration for citizenship" HOWEVER there are a few things you need to know:
Application for citizenship will most likely be denied in case you don't intend to spend time in Argentina. Please note that based on current processing timelines, the Government of Argentina currently takes between 10-16 months (!) from the time you submit your application until you have your shiny new Argentinian passport in your hands. This citizenship by marriage program is designed for people who intend to live in Argentina (at least while your application is pending). You can argue that this is not written in their constitution and you will be right. I am just saying that these days more and more people finding themselves in their applications being denied on that basis. My friend is an immi lawyer in Argentina, so I trust her on this. It is a very powerful passport I grant you that but sometime you have to pay a price for it, in this case, being married (always the worst) and by actually residing there for maybe a year. Great people, awesome food, good looking women, rich culture, beautiful architecture and pretty safe. You can't go wrong. Maybe you will end up liking it so much that you will stay there for good. Maybe that's their logic so you get hooked and stay...

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Just a few things as I have experience in both countries:

1. Cabo Verde: It is instant indeed. But consider this... CV is like a small neighborhood where everybody knows everyone. Like one of those little villages that you see in horror movies where the population count is always that exact number?! :-D That's CV.... Very small community and word gets around. But yes, it is instant. Your best bet however if you want to go the CV route is to find someone OUTSIDE of CV.
Hint #1: Portugal has a major population of CVs.
Hint #2: Marrying a CV in Portugal is out of sight, out of mind and you can get all your paperwork processed at a CV embassy in Portugal.

2. Argentina: Indeed, also, their constitution allows "instant registration for citizenship" HOWEVER there are a few things you need to know:
Application for citizenship will most likely be denied in case you don't intend to spend time in Argentina. Please note that based on current processing timelines, the Government of Argentina currently takes between 10-16 months (!) from the time you submit your application until you have your shiny new Argentinian passport in your hands. This citizenship by marriage program is designed for people who intend to live in Argentina (at least while your application is pending). You can argue that this is not written in their constitution and you will be right. I am just saying that these days more and more people finding themselves in their applications being denied on that basis. My friend is an immi lawyer in Argentina, so I trust her on this. It is a very powerful passport I grant you that but sometime you have to pay a price for it, in this case, being married (always the worst) and by actually residing there for maybe a year. Great people, awesome food, good looking women, rich culture, beautiful architecture and pretty safe. You can't go wrong. Maybe you will end up liking it so much that you will stay there for good.

Hope this helps!
Very useful!

How does Argentina decide if you have been living in the country for the past 16 months? For example, one could rent a house and give his credit card to the new wife for some shopping…
Are there proper entry records at border that can be checked? One can always lose his passport with border stamps on…

Simple entry records for immigration... it is all computerized. At major airports your passport is scanned and you are fingerprinted. No other records checked (such as the ones mentioned by you since residency is not officially a requirement they just want to know you are inside the country for the most part, short trips out are okay).

There is a way to skip the fingerprinting process LEGALLY (if you know the system) but your passport is always scanned and processed upon border entry. I DID hear from a friend of a friend who is a dear friend of that friend that it happened before where the person who applied for citizenship entered the country officially and then left the country without being processed and the same way came back in unprocessed... but you know, those things are illegal.

Last edited:
Simple entry records for immigration... it is all computerized. At major airports your passport is scanned and you are fingerprinted. No other records checked (such as the ones mentioned by you since residency is not officially a requirement they just want to know you are inside the country for the most part, short trips out are okay).

There is a way to skip the fingerprinting process LEGALLY (if you know the system) but your passport is always scanned and processed upon border entry. I DID hear from a friend of a friend who is a dear friend of that friend that it happened before where the person who applied for citizenship entered the country officially and then left the country without being processed and the same way came back in unprocessed... but you know, those things are illegal.
Do you need a residence title to remain in Argentina while being married and waiting for citizenship to be processed?

Do you need a residence title to remain in Argentina while being married and waiting for citizenship to be processed?
Since I got a few PMs about Argentina here is a little further clarification Re: Marriage / Citizenship in Argentina:

Citizenship is actually decided by courts, not immigration, and immigration only plays a small role in naturalization procedures. Since judges seem to have a larger than normal say in approvals/denials, it IS a possibility. I am not saying ALL applications get rejected of people who don't live in Argentina. All I meant was that current cases show that denials are more likely in a case where applicants don't make Argentina their home. The burden of proof part is nowhere near as strict as things in Brazil for example. They go crazy, honestly, to a never seen/heard extent (besides the usual stuff, even down to the smallest stuff you would never think of, such as asking for receipts for food purchases/orders) for the past few years. Not to mention that your CPF is requested if you go to a paid toiled (sort of)... It is completely nuts...

Anyway, back to Argentina: A report from immigration gets attached to your case file that the judge reviews and that will have all your entry/exit data (it is all in their computer system even all the domestic flights you take). The certificado de domicilio is also getting easier to obtain and in some parts are even skipped now completely (this is for the beginning stages of things of course).

For additional proof the government of Argentina seems to be really big on is anything OFFICIAL that has stamp / seal on with a date by a person of authority (I keep the specific examples to myself at this point). I can't get into more details on a public forum, since I have to make a living subsequently, now don't I?! ;)

Hope this helps!

What purpose do you acquire Cape Verde citizenship
PLENTY of benefits actually, even though at first look it may not be as attractive to some:

- If you don't live there then you can get your tax exempt status at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that you can hand over to your bank and they update your file accordingly. Voila, tax-exempt income!
- Most of the biggest banks there Caixa, BCA...etc are connected to Remitly (a popular money sending service from the USA) so getting paid is an instant and easy way! As a citizen, opening an account is a breeze other than taking a number and don't mind going back 4 hours later to see if your number has gotten any closer LOL
- Tight connections with Portugal
- African country. Since most of us have passports from first world countries, this gives an excellent diversification tool to your visa-free list of countries to visit! Many places you go in Africa the visa process will be costly and lengthy (weeks to a month).
- Visa-free travel to Russia (yes, yes, don't even start... I get you don't want to go there tomorrow, but you get a passport for long-term strategic planning)
- Probably the most "European" African country. They have many treaties with the EU and the Government's long-lived dream is to be part of the EU / Schengen zone. (They have a few more decade's worth of work ahead of them but it is not an impossible dream).

A few other minor things I could say but it is time to go back to my work. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie Manila
Since I got a few PMs about Argentina here is a little further clarification Re: Marriage / Citizenship in Argentina:

Citizenship is actually decided by courts, not immigration, and immigration only plays a small role in naturalization procedures. Since judges seem to have a larger than normal say in approvals/denials, it IS a possibility. I am not saying ALL applications get rejected of people who don't live in Argentina. All I meant was that current cases show that denials are more likely in a case where applicants don't make Argentina their home. The burden of proof part is nowhere near as strict as things in Brazil for example. They go crazy, honestly, to a never seen/heard extent (besides the usual stuff, even down to the smallest stuff you would never think of, such as asking for receipts for food purchases/orders) for the past few years. Not to mention that your CPF is requested if you go to a paid toiled (sort of)... It is completely nuts...

Anyway, back to Argentina: A report from immigration gets attached to your case file that the judge reviews and that will have all your entry/exit data (it is all in their computer system even all the domestic flights you take). The certificado de domicilio is also getting easier to obtain and in some parts are even skipped now completely (this is for the beginning stages of things of course).

For additional proof the government of Argentina seems to be really big on is anything OFFICIAL that has stamp / seal on with a date by a person of authority (I keep the specific examples to myself at this point). I can't get into more details on a public forum, since I have to make a living subsequently, now don't I?! ;)

Hope this helps!

PLENTY of benefits actually, even though at first look it may not be as attractive to some:

- If you don't live there then you can get your tax exempt status at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that you can hand over to your bank and they update your file accordingly. Voila, tax-exempt income!
- Most of the biggest banks there Caixa, BCA...etc are connected to Remitly (a popular money sending service from the USA) so getting paid is an instant and easy way! As a citizen, opening an account is a breeze other than taking a number and don't mind going back 4 hours later to see if your number has gotten any closer LOL
- Tight connections with Portugal
- African country. Since most of us have passports from first world countries, this gives an excellent diversification tool to your visa-free list of countries to visit! Many places you go in Africa the visa process will be costly and lengthy (weeks to a month).
- Visa-free travel to Russia (yes, yes, don't even start... I get you don't want to go there tomorrow, but you get a passport for long-term strategic planning)
- Probably the most "European" African country. They have many treaties with the EU and the Government's long-lived dream is to be part of the EU / Schengen zone. (They have a few more decade's worth of work ahead of them but it is not an impossible dream).

A few other minor things I could say but it is time to go back to my work. Hope this helps!

Fascinating reply and thread overall - thanks for the insights. I'm intrigued by both countries. Any high level changes in these processes since November last year? May also send you a PM with some more specific questions if you don't mind.