Our valued sponsor

Internet speed : which countries to avoid / are recommended in South / central america and Asia ?

unicorn

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
You'll find statistics on the internet on internet speed in certain countries, but I find the information not accurate (eg : France ranks very high, but in some parts of the country there isn't even ADSL, you need to use (very slow) satellite ; same goes for Portugal, Italy, ; St Kitts & Nevis : connexion even gets interrupted frequently etc.).

Which location have you visited where internet speed was great / horrible ?

I'm looking into relocating abroad and I wouldn't want to end up in a country with internet problems - I need fast and reliable internet.

Tx 4 sharing your experiences !

Switzerland.
Zurich has fiber almost everywhere. 1Gbit/s up/down

For what you need the internet?
Maybe you just want a RDP server. The forex traders with their automated algs use this method quite frequently when having slow/bad internet at home.

If you want good internet because maybe you work online then only two countries are good in Latin America: Chile and Panama. In Chile the "big" capitals have good internet and in Panama you will need to live in the capital to have good internet.

Also, electricity is something to take in count (in Latam there are lot of energy issues). Stay in good zones to avoid energy cuts.

I know other countries also have stable internet but I don't like internet connections below 100MB and in Latam there are a lot of places where you can't even get an stable 10MB

If you want good internet because maybe you work online then only two countries are good in Latin America: Chile and Panama. In Chile the "big" capitals have good internet and in Panama you will need to live in the capital to have good internet.

Also, electricity is something to take in count (in Latam there are lot of energy issues). Stay in good zones to avoid energy cuts.

I know other countries also have stable internet but I don't like internet connections below 100MB and in Latam there are a lot of places where you can't even get an stable 10MB

this is helpful, thank you !

my business is entirely online, so I must be able to check messages and reply every day, upload video's, etc.

so no "quiet place in the country side away from the city" and good internet possible then ? damn ...

I wanted to get out of city life ...

You are going to get only anecdotal answers that are good for almost nothing. For example, I could warn about load shedding (=power cuts) in Nepal, Armenia and Kosovo. But just as well they could have gotten their things working. And there is a ranking for this.

As for the speeds, just check the Speedtest Global Index.

I did check the ranking, and this is where I don't agree. Eg France : scores top 10 but ... in many places in the country side there is no internet ... only through sattelite ...