Is Cyprus earthquake proof?

RealDude

Pro Member
Dec 30, 2021
West
Visit site

A Nicosia resident said: “I was scared as my house was shaking again.”

Describing the moment a Famagusta resident in the north told the Cyprus Mail: “I saw the frames shaking, so I got up and put my cat in her carrier bag and got out of the house.”

Asked about the tremor, a witness in Limassol said that the earthquake was felt in the area.

The earthquake was felt all over the island and the eastern Mediaterranean region.

=> The death toll in Turkey currently stands at 41,000. Syria unknown.

Cyprus is "enjoying" an influx of ex-CIS money (russians mostly, but also Ukrainians and Belorussians). I'm not talking refugees, I'm talking IT entrepreneurs, fintech guys, gambling/betting people. They push the prices to the sky, eventually it will burst, but as in any bubble it matters who will be the last fool to pay.

Large apartment buildings built after 2004 are safe (Eurocode 8). Old apartment blocks are not (and you don't want to live in these anyway since you are not allowed to throw toilet paper into your toilet due to small drain pipes). Biggest problem are not the buildings but tsunamies. About 10 times more people die in tsunamies than in collapsing buildings and there's no proper tsunami warning system in Cyprus.
However, the risk of dying in an earthquake is very low compared to other risks (such as cancer, heart disease, nuclear war or side effects of experimental gene therapies). The latter is the reason why I chose not to move to CY because at some point they required you to have these jabs even to access supermarkets.

Life is unpredictable......you can robbed in safest country also......or You can met with the accident on the safest street in the world.....Considering earthquake for moving New country I find it little silly...You are overthinking when you research on things like this....Just imagine people living on "Rings of Fire" higest level of earthquake zone...people living on volcanic island...despite all of this they are living their life and enjoying their life...

To not moving to Cyprus due to earthquake....is very silly excuse in my opinion ...FYI Google Ex-CEO take citizenship of Cyprus.....You can trust him ....

I've felt earthquakes in Cyprus and recently there have been 2 that friends have experienced. Absolutely zero people there had any issues, and the news reports of damage usually equates to a few broken plant pots or a cracked old window etc. Not saying it wont ever happen, but Cyprus generally doesn't suffer as bad as it's neighbouring countries

Reactions: troubled soul
Earthquake proof from what?
From ordinaries earthquakes that strucks almost everyday in seismic region with magnitude below Mw 5? For sure yes.

But if we speak compared to the Turkey accident with magnitude Mw 7.8 or even more which literally could be once per 100 years - for sure no. Such powefull earthquakes will caused big casualties in almost any region of the world(except maybe Japan).

No matter what is written in construction codes for developers(especially in Cyprus, Turkey, Greece and nearbly regions who are very similiar in mentality). Each and every real estate developer will try to build as cheap as possible for ordinary homes. Not many developers will implement few times more expensive projects which could have a bit bigger chance to survive in theory of earthquake that could be once per 100 years.

Being investing in some real estate projects in Cyprus and inspecting building process regularly I could tell that they are absolutelly *not* follow all construction codes in terms of quality. I have a friends who have a properties in Turkey and they desribe same problems in building process: low quality concrete, incorrect reinforcement, design at the limit of material properties, without safety margin - it's a how developers build their projects. Eurocode remains on paper mostly.

But newer and low-rise projects for sure better in terms of earthquake proof.

Reactions: RealDude

A Nicosia resident said: “I was scared as my house was shaking again.”

Describing the moment a Famagusta resident in the north told the Cyprus Mail: “I saw the frames shaking, so I got up and put my cat in her carrier bag and got out of the house.”

Asked about the tremor, a witness in Limassol said that the earthquake was felt in the area.

The earthquake was felt all over the island and the eastern Mediaterranean region.

=> The death toll in Turkey currently stands at 41,000. Syria unknown.

True Story
I was in Nicosia when the first earthquake hit a few weeks ago
3:30 AM I was awakened. Felt the room shaking. Turned on the light.
Got dressed real fast, took my phone, computer and wallet.
Went downstairs via the hotel stairs (2 flights)
Got outside. Not a soul around.
None of the lights were on in anyone's apartment.
Shaking continued pretty strongly for an hour
THe population of Nicosia slept right thru it.
If there is ever a big quake centered in Cyprus, casualties will be high bc nobody even got out of bed.

Cyprus is "enjoying" an influx of ex-CIS money (russians mostly, but also Ukrainians and Belorussians). I'm not talking refugees, I'm talking IT entrepreneurs, fintech guys, gambling/betting people. They push the prices to the sky, eventually it will burst, but as in any bubble it matters who will be the last fool to pay.
Just as Europe is pressuring countries to close their Golden Visa programs, I was thinking of throwing a few bucks at a place there and getting a slow-track residency out of it.

Reactions: RealDude