Our valued sponsor

Is this the best way to gain a second EU citizenship?

EU citizen here (Spain, schengen area).

Let's say I set my residency in 5x different countries (e.g: Portugal, Italy, Sweden, Poland and Czech republic, all in the Schengen area).
I drive to these countries so there are no really any borders and passport checks.

Once I get to each of these countries, I stay for 1-2 months, just enough to get my Residency certificate and ID/foreign residency cards.

The time start ticking, I return to my home country (Spain) by car and then from there I fly back to my residency country (the UAE).

After 5-10 years I apply for citizenship in each of those mentioned countries where I previously set my residence.

let's say I fulfill the language requirement for each country, and also the residency requirement since there are no borders check
saying that I lived most of my Financial life in Dubai, what's the chance of success? I presume they won't all look into my Tax returns and
ask why I haven't submitted one? (e.g: I previously naturalised Canadian and they never asked for my Tax returns).

If they ever ask me why I never submited a Tax return, my answer is simple: I lived in Dubai 9 months of each year).
(obviously in that case the applications will get denied).

Tell me why it won't work.

My guy, why don't you just buy a passport if you want a third one so badly?
I'm looking to get a solid passport, at least tier B. Investment options such as St kitts are now expensive and tier C, everyone knows you bought them, banks ask questions, exchanges cause problems, etc...

Malta would be a good option but 1 milli is too much.

The best option is through legal residencies then naturalise as a citizen...

My answer is: I have a catastorphic vision of the future, tech-communism I'll call it, dystopian, minority report style. I want my a*s covered with both feet everywhere, and a s**t load of assets around the world.

And, in this catastrophic vision, a second EU passport would keep you safe? Wouldn't the EU just federate fully and/or centralize passport issuing?

You have two (although closely related) parts of the world covered: Canada and Spain. Maybe it's time to think outside of the west.

Let's say I set my residency in 5x different countries (e.g: Portugal, Italy, Sweden, Poland and Czech republic, all in the Schengen area).
I drive to these countries so there are no really any borders and passport checks.
You will probably not qualify for citizenship in either of them since neither is your true permanent home. The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that you were in the country for the necessary time, not on them to prove you weren't.

saying that I lived most of my Financial life in Dubai, what's the chance of success? I presume they won't all look into my Tax returns and
ask why I haven't submitted one?
Assume they look at tax returns. They can just get them from the tax office. No need to ask you about it. Every interaction you've had with the government that has been saved somewhere is likely to be taken into consideration.

Reactions: JohnnyDoe
EU citizen here (Spain, schengen area).

Once I get to each of these countries, I stay for 1-2 months, just enough to get my Residency certificate and ID/foreign residency cards.

The time start ticking, I return to my home country (Spain) by car and then from there I fly back to my residency country (the UAE).

After 5-10 years I apply for citizenship in each of those mentioned countries where I previously set my residence.

let's say I fulfill the language requirement for each country, and also the residency requirement since there are no borders check
ask why I haven't submitted one? (e.g: I previously naturalised Canadian and they never asked for my Tax returns).

If they ever ask me why I never submited a Tax return, my answer is simple: I lived in Dubai 9 months of each year).
(obviously in that case the applications will get denied).

Tell me why it won't work.
Not in the EU but could try Argentina which only requires 2 years to naturalise and get a passport. You get more than 173 countries along with Schengen access. If you are getting all the passports in the EU, it's not really diversification, is it? A lot of South American countries are self-sufficient in energy and food production while the EU is not.

And, in this catastrophic vision, a second EU passport would keep you safe? Wouldn't the EU just federate fully and/or centralize passport issuing?

You have two (although closely related) parts of the world covered: Canada and Spain. Maybe it's time to think outside of the west.

You will probably not qualify for citizenship in either of them since neither is your true permanent home. The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that you were in the country for the necessary time, not on them to prove you weren't.

Assume they look at tax returns. They can just get them from the tax office. No need to ask you about it. Every interaction you've had with the government that has been saved somewhere is likely to be taken into consideration.
Makes sense. might look into South American citizenships a bit more. I'm just not a fan of learning Brazilian.... Argentina has wealth tax problems... and Paraguay/Uruguay show your real nationality (hometown nationality) on the passport instead of their own... Colombia is a tax mess...

Not in the EU but could try Argentina which only requires 2 years to naturalise and get a passport. You get more than 173 countries along with Schengen access. If you are getting all the passports in the EU, it's not really diversification, is it? A lot of South American countries are self-sufficient in energy and food production while the EU is not.
That's true but I believe more countries will eventually leave the EU (hopefully). The reason? We are going, at least short term, in a more far right world now. Look at the UK, Netherlands and Australia starting to block immigration. Brexit was probably just the beginning.

Makes sense. might look into South American citizenships a bit more. I'm just not a fan of learning Brazilian.... Argentina has wealth tax problems... and Paraguay/Uruguay show your real nationality (hometown nationality) on the passport instead of their own... Colombia is a tax mess...

Try Mexico. Get the temp residency via the Madrid embassy and then after 2 years there you can apply for citizenship.

Reactions: banafinfodafuggiano