Our valued sponsor

Law firms are rehashing templated contracts

avalanche

Pro Member
Aug 13, 2019
emi.directory
Where would you find a lawyer who is really keen on getting into details of your business and
proposing ways to make a solid business contract without paying him millions?

All firms Im encountering so far just use templated contracts to "plug a hole" whenever I ask them to draft an agreement.

tried the same. I know from a good lawyer I know in person they have system integrated with word and excel that can almost draft any contract or agreement. The database contains tens of thousands of contracts and agreement. So it is minimal what they have to enter there to charge a 1000 or even 100.000 euro.

Reactions: Digitman
tried the same. I know from a good lawyer I know in person they have system integrated with word and excel that can almost draft any contract or agreement. The database contains tens of thousands of contracts and agreement. So it is minimal what they have to enter there to charge a 1000 or even 100.000 euro.
Thats a huge shame.. I think we should be looking for a legal writer instead of a lawyer

Thats a huge shame.. I think we should be looking for a legal writer instead of a lawyer
I don't believe it is that easy, you forget about the entire legal part. Someone can write what ever he want but the case law used must be applicable and complied with.

You can combine legal writer and a lawyer maybe? Honestly thats very tricky I agree
that's true but how would you do that. Let's say you find a way, next issue, all the legal responsibility, a law firm have insurance and most of them know what they are talking about, it's their profession.

I dont understand why you find it a problem that law firms use templated contracts. Obviously there is no reason to write something from scratch that you already have.

Keeps the cost down for the client and/or profit optimization for the law firm

I'm sure a lawyer is more than happy to charge you their hourly rate to write something that has the same legal bearing as the template they offered you.

If you have specific requirements for what an agreement should contain, communicate that to the lawyer and they can either update their standard template (cheap) or draft a new one.

I dont understand why you find it a problem that law firms use templated contracts. Obviously there is no reason to write something from scratch that you already have.

I find that a problem because oftentimes these templates dont feel like they are fit for the business exactly. Some terms and things are just too generic and Im starting to doubt if this template covers all edge cases of the busineess. That's like buying a poorly fit jacket in the retail store.

The lawyers dont want to get deeply in the situation of the business and find out all possible edge cases

if they would keep the costs down it would be nice. They charge the same over and over again regardless how many times they sell the same contract :D it's big business. I know they spend tons of money for IT systems and they also often spend man-power but still it is a really good and big business for the big law firms.

Latest Threads