Our valued sponsor

Lying about Volumes. How does Compliance work for Processors?

thawk

Sep 15, 2021
Earth
Visit site
Hello!

I have a small problem since the payment processor is asking for the volume history of the last 6 months. The problem is that 3-6 months ago, we had revenue drops because of a few problems, but the current (and expected revenue in the future) is much higher.

However, they require a minimum processing volume, and my current volume would be the minimum for that. So the drops a few months ago are bad since they expect that history for 6 months. That would probably result in a rejection.

What would happen if I lie to them? Do they have options to verify that (maybe directly through the card schemes, ...) or wouldn't they notice? It wouldn't be a problem in the future since I have those volumes now and am confident to even increase it. But that's not enough for them.

They don't have options to verify the volume unless they are in some way connected to each other. However, if the volume you mention does not match the real volume they will come back to you and negotiate the rates and fees, that's at least what happened to us. Some processors can terminate an account if the volume is lower than claimed.

Reactions: thawk
It depends on which processor you are coming from and which one you are going to. For example, if you go from Stripe to FirstData, it's possible FirstData already knows you because they are one the acquirers behind Stripe.

Usually, all processors can do is look at various tools and services they have to estimate the traffic and volume on your website. If you claim to do millions a month in volume but SimilarWeb shows you have barely a few hundred visitors a month, you may be in a difficult situation. If the discrepancy is small (a 10-20% drop in volume), it's probably not going to be a concern.

There are also clandestine ways processors can find out. It's a small world and people talk with each other. Happens quite a lot for larger and/or risky merchants.

But in most cases, what @JohnnyDoe said works and no one really cares, so long as your volumes end up where you claim they will.

I dont think you should lie. Of course not photoshop. Today you have advanced technology that verifies document`s authenticity. Provide them with your current volumes and in case you will have significant increase, just tell them you have invested more in marketing that brought extraordinarily successful result.

Latest Threads