Our valued sponsor

Moving to Malta in 2023 ?

As a Canadian, you'll face a mild form of institutional xenophobia. You won't be trusted by for example banks or utility companies, as they view anyone not holding a Maltese passport a potential flight risk leaving unpaid debts behind. This can make it difficult to get for example utilities in your name or get credit.
100% true, Maltese institutions (even those one wouldn't expect) are overly suspicious and sort of hostile

So i am interviewing for an advisory role in Malta. I would have to move there for work, i took the role mostly because it's well connected and it could help me further my business in the long term. Anyone here live or lived in Malta before ? Is it a place you'd recommend for someone coming out of Canada ? Any tips and advice for making my stay there enjoyable would be appreciated too.

Canada is now a dumpster fire and it's getting worse by the day so i took the decision to leave as i wrapped up the last affairs that kept me there.

Also hearing your thoughts on the condition of the island, living standards, food, etc would be nice. All the advice is appreciated.
I actively considered Malta and Canada both some time and have close family living in Canada and I live just 30 minutes flight from Malta. There is no comparison between Canada and Malta. For a person from a developing world, both are the same for Economics, cost of living and infra. But that's about it. Malta is super congested, which is one reason I dropped it. But its Mediterranean, so you get top-class weather and food. And a very quick gateway to Tunisia, Morocco, and Egypt- some of the cheapest tourist magnets on earth.

Reactions: Cavaliere
As someone who lived in Malta for nearly ten years: It's a very busy and loud place, with greedy natives who are not really welcoming to foreigners (there are exceptions). If you face an issue, or even give a suggestion for improvement you'll constantly face a hostile 'go to your own country!'. Life gets quite boring after a while. Building quality is poor, you'll face a lot of Issues with Mold (even though that's quite common across the Mediterranean). A lot of people within the Expat bubble got kind of 'stuck' in Malta. Alcoholism and Drug abuse are common. Most people that I know and who have their lives under control, or even moved on to start a family, moved out of Malta within a couple of years.

I would definitely avoid the central locations such as St. Julians and Sliema. If the Budget allows and you do not need to be at an Office in the central region on a daily basis, you can create an enjoyable bubble up in the north, for example in Melieha. And make some higher quality friends there too.

Be careful with the 0815 advisory firms, and opt for one of the bigger players to get things done properly, right from the beginning.

Reactions: Konstanz