Our valued sponsor

Paused crypto startup development, looking for a way to not let it go to waste

Empiric

May 25, 2023
Europe
Visit site
A few months ago I found this community and I wanna first thank you for the wealth of knowledge I’ve gotten from you.
~A year ago my long time partner reached out to me about a partnership. He had the idea for a marketplace platform, we brainstormed and stitched a doc describing all of our ideas and we came up with a social marketplace where you trade real items and services for crypto. The social aspect would give us moat and make users trust other users more. I’ve got in touch with my vetted team, gave them our doc and time to build it. ince I was busy with my other work I let my partner handle marketing, early business development and legal stuff.

The problem starts here; 2 months ago my partner stoped responding.
Not just me, I tried to get in touch with him through mutual connections with no success.
I don’t know yet what happened to him but I’m sure he’s not just ghosting me or trying to scam me in some way.
I told them to stop working on it, now I’m left with a fairly advanced codebase, and without a partner who was passionate about this project.
I don’t wanna continue working on this since I have more on my table than I can handle rn, I also don’t wanna sell the whole idea, brand etc in case this get resolved.

Does anyone here have similar idea for a crypto platform and is looking for a cofounder?
I could use the existing resources(backend codebase and architecture, team etc.) to build something different, but this time faster.
You can DM me if you really don’t wanna share the idea in the comments.

Reactions: Cavaliere
A few months ago I found this community and I wanna first thank you for the wealth of knowledge I’ve gotten from you.
~A year ago my long time partner reached out to me about a partnership. He had the idea for a marketplace platform, we brainstormed and stitched a doc describing all of our ideas and we came up with a social marketplace where you trade real items and services for crypto. The social aspect would give us moat and make users trust other users more. I’ve got in touch with my vetted team, gave them our doc and time to build it. ince I was busy with my other work I let my partner handle marketing, early business development and legal stuff.

The problem starts here; 2 months ago my partner stoped responding.
Not just me, I tried to get in touch with him through mutual connections with no success.
I don’t know yet what happened to him but I’m sure he’s not just ghosting me or trying to scam me in some way.
I told them to stop working on it, now I’m left with a fairly advanced codebase, and without a partner who was passionate about this project.
I don’t wanna continue working on this since I have more on my table than I can handle rn, I also don’t wanna sell the whole idea, brand etc in case this get resolved.

Does anyone here have similar idea for a crypto platform and is looking for a cofounder?
I could use the existing resources(backend codebase and architecture, team etc.) to build something different, but this time faster.
You can DM me if you really don’t wanna share the idea in the comments.
In which coding language is the back-end built? I am a software engineer myself and have partners that could market / sell such a project.

Reactions: Empiric
Social marketplaces are pretty tough competition (e.g. Facebook). Had you guys figured out any USP?
We were targeting specific niches, mostly p2p rather than bigger businesses2c. Escrow, we looked at the current competitors and improved buying/selling workflow and how traders connect, we did some research on existing solutions and were trying to build something without the flaws of their products users were quite loudly talking about online

maybr ownership matters with yoir rx partner shouod be resolved prior to forming new arrangements
We had a very good relationship before he diespeard, his equity was not an issue, I'm sure of that

What's your marketing budget?

I hate businesses where you have to do 2 things: Get sellers/merchants on, and get customers to said merchants. Can't see it getting off the ground tbh.
Well, that's the problem with any community-driven products, there is always going to be a cold start problem when working on something like that. We were in contact with professionals with a very good network of sellers and influencers from our niche. I totally understand your skepticism but you gotta try, we both believed we could do that with our experience.

In which coding language is the back-end built? I am a software engineer myself and have partners that could market / sell such a project.
Typescript

Last edited:
Reactions: CyprusLawyer101
The competition is so great in this space right now. Im curious to know why you believe the codebase is advanced. I've seen people claim the same, spent 10s of thousands on code that can be oursourced in the east for pennies on the dollars.

What is your personal techincal ability?

I might be interrested in implementing it to our existing project (can be a copy for a single country) for a share of our company but i would need more information what kind of features it has and if it would fit our agenda.

Having burnt myself on 2 sided marketplace ventures, I come to the painful conclusions they are very tough unless you have a few millis to put into marketing to your niche. The tech is the tiny problem, network effect the big one.

I might be interrested in implementing it to our existing project (can be a copy for a single country) for a share of our company but i would need more information what kind of features it has and if it would fit our agenda.
thank you for your offer but I'm not interested in that

Having burnt myself on 2 sided marketplace ventures, I come to the painful conclusions they are very tough unless you have a few millis to put into marketing to your niche. The tech is the tiny problem, network effect the big one.
the cold start problem by Andrew Chen - read it, maybe it will help you in the future

I had a similar idea but for P2P forex using smart contract escrow. The forex industry needs to be disrupted from the banking cartels and govts, they're gouging and making a killing.. plus this was one of the promises of crypto. If your escrow trade is solid and open to a pivot, this would be interesting.