Our valued sponsor

Shopping system like OSCommerce and VirtuaMart any good?

blainchain

Offshore Agent
Mar 28, 2011
Hungary
Visit site
What shopping system / script do you prefare for large number of items to be sold?

I have been looking at OSCommerce and Virtue Mart which both seems to be easy and professional scripts. Are there any alternatives? If so, please mention some so I may have a look.

OSCommerce and Virtue Mart are pretty cool, you may look into Magento as well.

Hi hulk,

Not used virtue mart. OsCommerce is O.K... or atleast, it was in its day.. its well known for leading open source ecommerce for quite some time but that was years ago and oscommerce is no longer actively developed. Its prone to malware attacks. As a web developer, I've repair/recovered several oscommerce sites in the last year that have been attacked and are now out of date, and thus not all that suitable for large scale online retailing.

opencart is good, and quite straight forward. Magento is awesome interms of scalability and its "app" (Magento Connect" marketplace offers tens of thousands of extensions to your store. Magento does however come with quite a learning curve as far as development is concerned. Prestashop is another good one, quite simple.

Both Magento and Prestashop have online hosted versions that are easy to setup and administrate. Both are paid services though.

Good luck,

Oscommerce is ok, but when you start adding modules, or making updates, you take the risk of ending up with a HUGE mess...

Prestashop is really cool with lots of addons.

I never tried Magento but I heard it was a bit resources consuming...

Yes Bonox is right about the the foot print with Magento. If you are doing decent volume of sales, you will probably need a dedicated server, or a optimised VPS atleast.

Let us know how you get on.

Let's sya my budget is $500 / month, what would you suggest for hosting and shopping cart? - Magento seems to be the one used by many but at the same time it seems to be very expensive?

Latest Threads