Our valued sponsor

Taxes for home ownership in Italy

superban

Dec 12, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone, I have a question:

I state that I am a resident of Paraguay duly registered with AIRE (office for Italians residing abroad).

In January 2022 I became the owner of a house in Italy and it is regularly rented with a lease.

I have never filed a tax return in Italy.

What do I risk as a non-resident if I decide never to present it?

It is clear that I would like to pay as little taxes as possible in Italy, but if I decide to start paying taxes, won't I expose myself more to the Italian tax authorities?

I'm also thinking about selling the house because the taxes are high. In this case, if I sell it and I have never filed a tax return yet, can they ask me for taxes after years?

Thanks to anyone who has interesting points to share.

You must pay property taxes as a non-resident. If you keep failing to do that, they will confiscate the property and sell it at auction.
You are also supposed to pay taxes on the rent, if the contract is registered you can’t avoid it.
If you sell the house quickly, and not for a big amount, the Agenzia delle Entrate might not bother you.

You must pay property taxes as a non-resident. If you keep failing to do that, they will confiscate the property and sell it at auction.
You are also supposed to pay taxes on the rent, if the contract is registered you can’t avoid it.
If you sell the house quickly, and not for a big amount, the Agenzia delle Entrate might not bother you.

Thankyou Johnny.

So if I'm the owner since january 2022 I'm already late with tax payments?

Thankyou Johnny.

So if I'm the owner since january 2022 I'm already late with tax payments?
You should already have received some property tax bills, but you should still have time to pay (it depends if you prefer to pay by installments or not). For example, I will pay all at once in June this year together with the personal taxes. Anyway it’s better if you appoint a local accountant to take care of your matter and also to receive the bills for you.

Reactions: superban
You should already have received some property tax bills, but you should still have time to pay (it depends if you prefer to pay by installments or not). For example, I will pay all at once in June this year together with the personal taxes. Anyway it’s better if you appoint a local accountant to take care of your matter and also to receive the bills for you.
How much taxes do you pay in addition to the flat 100k€ tax thing in a year?

tbh the Italy solution is starting to make a lot of sense for me too
The Greek one is great too.

Pay 100k, minimal paperwork, 'clean' jurisdiction, nobody asks questions.
It makes things easier for just 100k
Greece is nice but is worse than Italy logistically and the language is not the easiest thing to manage. You could plan 15 years in Italy and then another 15 years in Greece

Latest Threads