Our valued sponsor

Thoughts on my strategy to avoid taxes? - getting paid in Thai account?

yes this is it, thailand works if you keep the money outside the country and live there on your savings from past years.

if you are a tax resident in thailand you want to send something like 10-15k per year of income to get a tax return and pay a bit of taxes to be able to claim a certificate of residency.
also you want to check the DTA between thailand and your country of origin to see exactly how it works regarding taxes.

BTW I wouldn't keep any money or asset in thailand, only enough for living expanses. the corruption is rampant and you could get in trouble real fast there and get everything seized in the process.
How did you reached the conclusion that only a minimum amount of 10-15k per year will get you the certificate?

And what DTA with country of origin have to do with getting the certificate?

I wouldn't count on CRS reporting only the end of year balance ... unless you are absolutely sure of that its much more likely they report the total turnover for the year on the account.

What you want is have tax residency in Thailand and open a bank account somewhere else like Switzerland and give them your thai tax id and residence address, then you don't care about CRS since Thailand won't tax you on foreign income not remitted in the country during the year of assessment.
You said it yourself that ''technically work performed while inside the country is taxable'' - So what makes you so sure that if they receive your information from accounts abroad it would be obvious that you are exempt and they won't go after that by asking you to proof that it is actually a foreign/from work performed outside?

How did you reached the conclusion that only a minimum amount of 10-15k per year will get you the certificate?

And what DTA with country of origin have to do with getting the certificate?
from an expat accountant operating there.
also this is the minimum where you start to actually pay a bit of taxes, this is what matter in the end.

the DTA literally determine where you are a tax resident and therefore if you can get a certificate depending on your activities and center of vital interest and all this BS. a DTA is there to avoid double taxation and take precedence over the general law on taxation if I am not mistaken.

You said it yourself that ''technically work performed while inside the country is taxable'' - So what makes you so sure that if they receive your information from accounts abroad it would be obvious that you are exempt and they won't go after that by asking you to proof that it is actually a foreign/from work performed outside?
completely right, although Thailand don't do CRS for now, its schedule for 2022 if I am not mistaken. We will see how thing goes then but we could very well have to provide some proof of funds ...

now the Thai government is well known to be extremely lazy and pretty much useless so ... I wouldn't worry too much. This will be more of an issue for Thai citizen than foreign Thai resident imho, we shall see ...
in any case, I wouldn't stay a whole year in Thailand though but maybe that's just me ...

Reactions: Dasboot
from an expat accountant operating there.
also this is the minimum where you start to actually pay a bit of taxes, this is what matter in the end.

the DTA literally determine where you are a tax resident and therefore if you can get a certificate depending on your activities and center of vital interest and all this BS. a DTA is there to avoid double taxation and take precedence over the general law on taxation if I am not mistaken.

completely right, although Thailand don't do CRS for now, its schedule for 2022 if I am not mistaken. We will see how thing goes then but we could very well have to provide some proof of funds ...

now the Thai government is well known to be extremely lazy and pretty much useless so ... I wouldn't worry too much. This will be more of an issue for Thai citizen than foreign Thai resident imho, we shall see ...
in any case, I wouldn't stay a whole year in Thailand though but maybe that's just me ...
Did you already managed to obtain the certificate?

Latest Threads