Our valued sponsor

USA companies not charging VAT on B2C sales to EU paid with Bitcoin

yomboloz

Apr 19, 2022
UAE
Visit site
Hello,
I've seen several big USA companies(100 employees+) that charge VAT on payments paid with a Card or PayPal to EU consumers.
But they do not charge VAT on those same sales if they are paid with Bitcoin. Is there a law/regulation allowing them to not charge VAT on Bitcoin orders or are they simply ignoring the need to pay VAT and doing it illegaly?

Reactions: bizman and bonox
No this is illegal. The EU law does not provide any VAT exemption for settlement of invoices via crypto. I would assume that any crypto transactions that this company makes are not reported to any authority.
Taken straight from their website '' Unlike other payment methods, you don’t need to pay VAT while purchasing your products with crypto''

Taken straight from their website '' Unlike other payment methods, you don’t need to pay VAT while purchasing your products with crypto''
Crypto is a way of payment and not a separate provision of service to be capable of providing a VAT exemption. As I said before there is currently no VAT exemption under EU law for settling products/services using crypto.

Reactions: yomboloz
Crypto is a way of payment and not a separate provision of service to be capable of providing a VAT exemption. As I said before there is currently no VAT exemption under EU law for settling products/services using crypto.
That's what I found from my own research too, and the company does have its own legal team... so I'm thinking how are they getting away with it. They are definitively doing over the minimum tresholds in most EU countries for VAT registration as well

That's what I found from my own research too, and the company does have its own legal team... so I'm thinking how are they getting away with it. They are definitively doing over the minimum tresholds in most EU countries for VAT registration as well
This is indeed wierd and very risky if they are operating in this manner. The EU threshold is €10,000 B2C per annum. This is not per country but applies to sales in entire EU

Probably because it's not enforced. Most NON-EU companies doesn't pay EU VAT.

Many companies around the globe don't charge VAT even they should do that. It is still difficult for most countries to fight that battle. In a few years I believe they will have they grip on the worlds countries VAT cheaters but until then, forget it.

Latest Threads