Our valued sponsor

VIP/Gold/Black cards make any difference?

Sean Restling

Apr 11, 2019
Visit site
I wonder whether Gold cards (or whatever they're called these days) have a preferential treatment when buying online. I'm asking because we buy sometimes on luxury websites (Hermes, Louis Vuitton.. etc) and it happens that the card is declined, I spoke to the customer care of these shops giving all the info needed (name and address the same as the one on the card and so on) but they say nothing can be done when the system cancels the purchase automatically, they even try sending privately a link to my email but the purchase is still cancelled, and they ahve no explanation for it, they just say to physically go to the boutique, which can be a hassle. So I'm asking whether these "posher" cards may have a different treatment, and if so, which one is recommended to get (when I say recommended I mean more cost-effective). Thanks.

A decline is a decline. There's rarely anything the merchant can do about it. You need to speak with your bank to know why it was declined.

Premium credit cards often have higher limits (both credit limits and per-transaction limits), so your chances of getting a high-value transactions through are increased. But again, that's up to the bank/issuer.

Reactions: Spinnaker
It's not a decline from the bank, the operation is actually accepted by the bank and goes through, the operation is cancelled at a later stage by the shop, which has some very strict rules at HQ of which no one knows about, except the computer who decides to decline. I've tried at Hermes in particular with 3 different cards, all in my name, all fully operational, delivery at the card's address (plus I'm already a registered client!), and they were all declined by their bot or whatever it is that decides to accept or decline.

It's not a decline from the bank, the operation is actually accepted by the bank and goes through, the operation is cancelled at a later stage by the shop, which has some very strict rules at HQ of which no one knows about, except the computer who decides to decline. I've tried at Hermes in particular with 3 different cards, all in my name, all fully operational, delivery at the card's address (plus I'm already a registered client!), and they were all declined by their bot or whatever it is that decides to accept or decline.
Why would you even want to do business with a company that treats their customers that way?

That is part of their strenght actually, I have even been banned for 2 years from Louis Vuitton as I bought too much (7-8 pieces really, not a lot), but it's what they do, they can make it hard for customers to buy, these kinds of policies actually protect their brand, and they know that no matter what they'll never be short of customers anyway.

It's strange that some of these cards got blocked! Even my card with Wise has never been blocked by any yet.

I wonder whether Gold cards (or whatever they're called these days) have a preferential treatment when buying online. I'm asking because we buy sometimes on luxury websites (Hermes, Louis Vuitton.. etc) and it happens that the card is declined, I spoke to the customer care of these shops giving all the info needed (name and address the same as the one on the card and so on) but they say nothing can be done when the system cancels the purchase automatically, they even try sending privately a link to my email but the purchase is still cancelled, and they ahve no explanation for it, they just say to physically go to the boutique, which can be a hassle. So I'm asking whether these "posher" cards may have a different treatment, and if so, which one is recommended to get (when I say recommended I mean more cost-effective). Thanks.
Are you buying multiple items of the same kind?

Are you buying multiple items of the same kind?

I know where you're heading and that's a clever observation, and exactly what I believe led to being susended by Vuitton in the first place. While for Hermes no not really, different items, it's just their system sucks, lots of other users have had this issue with them. The idea of a VIP card is probably stupid and won't solve the issue, only I don't know anyone with a VIP card so I thought I'd ask here.

Latest Threads