Our valued sponsor

Question Where to travel long term, thats CHEAP and LUSH

theviewer1985

Mar 27, 2023
UK
Visit site
Bit more of a light hearted topic compared to my previous VISAs and LTD ones. But in my recent findings, I think I am going to end up in Romania for tax/visa reasons (there is a chance of Cyprus, but still unclear on VISAs there)

Anyway, that aside, the lawyer in Romania said they have a long waiting list and will likely take about 8 months. I've already had enough of UK, so 8 months is annoying but I can soften the blow by ditching our UK rental, storing our stuff with family and then constantly travelling. Yes, I will still be paying taxes in UK but at least we can live cheaply which will offset that frustration.

Here lies the question, where would you guys recommend that matches our criteria below. It's not only a request of Country recommendations, but also the specific areas within the countries. For example, I know places like Bali have luxury accommodation for cheap, but I'd imagine only a few specific areas would match our criteria. Same goes for Thailand.
  • We want to live cheaply, but we dont want to live in a cave in Afghanistan. So it's a 'best bang for your buck' type desire. It has to be a nice, functioning, safe area.
  • The area MUST have good internet
  • Preferably sunny
  • Safe / friendly / open minded / Young vibes. With nightlife and parties
  • We prefer coastal, and providing it's fresh, open & clean we don't mind cities. Think Singapore city, rather than Bangkok / New Delhi. However, it doesnt have to be a city providing it has the fun factor above
  • Well connected. We don't drive, so needs to be reachable and escapable via public transport.
  • Obviously goes without saying that the Visitor Visa system is quite liberal (to UK citizens). If we have to hop around every 90 days, fine. But we dont wanna be forced into an immigration office every freaking week. Yes we work online and will be working abroad, but we all know the drill "travelling for pleasure sir"
The goal here is to save money but also be able to continue working and having fun. Merely existing in the UK costs us about £4k a month. If we can live like kings, for less than £2k then that'll be great. But honestly, the cheaper the better. I've heard of people living in luxury pads for like a tenner a day and eating amazing fresh food all day for a few pounds.

Cheeeeeeeeeeers :)

The goal here is to save money but also be able to continue working and having fun. Merely existing in the UK costs us about £4k a month. If we can live like kings, for less than £2k then that'll be great. But honestly, the cheaper the better. I've heard of people living in luxury pads for like a tenner a day and eating amazing fresh food all day for a few pounds.
Where is that?
Cheeeeeeeeeeers :)

Where is that?
Sorry I don't know exactly what you are asking... do you mean where are people eating for a few quid and renting for a tenner a day?

Generally Bali and Thailand is what comes to mind. So many Tik Tok videos of people eating the best looking food in vast quantity (triple the amount id eat) and the total daily bill being several dollars.

Sorry I don't know exactly what you are asking... do you mean where are people eating for a few quid and renting for a tenner a day?

Generally Bali and Thailand is what comes to mind. So many Tik Tok videos of people eating the best looking food in vast quantity (triple the amount id eat) and the total daily bill being several dollars.
Well, thats living on the cheap or having a lifestyle like a local. That comes with its own cost and not everyone can do it over extended periods of time.

You can live like that everywhere outside Usd,euro currency land.

i thought they are all Caribbean
how safe are DR and Curaçao? which one is your preferred one?
it seems you misread it a bit... he meant all the Caribbean islands FROM DR TO Curacao :)
I have a fresh experience with both and (long-story short) these a totally incomparable (if anything then the exact opposite)
Curacao is very expensive and pretty bad place to live unless you're passionate scuba diver or want to play golf in the gated resort all the day

Reactions: sergeylim88
i thought they are all Caribbean
I suggest you first spend some time exploring Google Earth

it seems you misread it a bit... he meant all the Caribbean islands FROM DR TO Curacao :)
I have a fresh experience with both and (long-story short) these a totally incomparable (if anything then the exact opposite)
Curacao is very expensive and pretty bad place to live unless you're passionate scuba diver or want to play golf in the gated resort all the day
There’s something for everyone in the Caribbean.

Reactions: sergeylim88

Latest Threads