Our valued sponsor

Question Will property tax payment be considered as tax residency?

sinos

Member Plus
Oct 16, 2020
Visit site
If someone owns a property in country A and is also a citizen of country A and pays property tax in country A but stays in country B. Can that person be considered as a tax resident of country A?

Another question, how to prove that you are a tax resident of country A, in other words how to prove that someone is resident for more than 180 days?

I am asking this question in the context of second passports from Caribbean countries.

You can be resident in two countries.

So even if you qualify as tax resident in Country A by Country A's laws, you are most likely also tax resident in Country B by Country B's laws.
@Sols thnx, my question was - If I am a citizen of Grenada and own a property there and pay property tax will I then be considered as tax resident?
Normally Grenada doesn't have income tax on worldwide income and requires a stay of 180 days to be considered as a tax resident.

But how do I prove that I was resident for 180 days? Utility bills ...

So, thats why the question - if I pay property tax will that construe me as being tax resident of Grenada. Many EU banks have asked for tax residency proof. I have contacted lawyers based in Grenada and they are saying the same thing about 180 days. So I am in a bind.

Usually, you can get a certificate of residence in the country which shows how many days you have stayed inside of the country. They base this on your entrance/exit data from your passport (not the actual stamps, but the data they have in their system). That is an official document and should be enough to prove how long you have stayed in a country for tax purposes or any other reasons

Usually, you can get a certificate of residence in the country which shows how many days you have stayed inside of the country. They base this on your entrance/exit data from your passport (not the actual stamps, but the data they have in their system). That is an official document and should be enough to prove how long you have stayed in a country for tax purposes or any other reasons
Great!! thnx, that means if we plan entry and exit carefully, we will get the desired results. That opens up a lot of possibilities.

If you file a tax return in your own name and in Grenada then some banks might accept that as a proof of residency there.
Ask your banks if a tax return can be used as proof.
The problem with Grenada is that they won't let you file a tax return if you haven't stayed more than 180 days. My problem was how to prove that my residency is over 180 days.

Latest Threads