Our valued sponsor

A bloody security login feature that a bank has recently introduced

rainy

Mar 15, 2021
SO
Visit site
Bank of Georgia! Bloody bunch of idiots. They can't simply sit and let customers use their services, it itches them to ADD SOMETHING.

A phone number, a georgian phone, which I haven't used a single time ever, in 2 years, but I used it to open an account only. Now the bank, during login in internet banking, requires me to enter an OTP sent to that number!

I'm speachless. The situation is that they've added the security feature in order to prevent potentiial hackers to access my account. But it's me who now can't access my own account.

If they're not a bunch of morons, who else are they?

Maybe they just care about their customers :)

Have you tried to call them to sort this out?

who else are they?
They are simply following the PSD2 directive. Every bank in EU is following this procedure since the beginning of the year. Some banks send SMS while other use OTP generator apps but all must obey to that directive and since Georgia is very willing to join the EU it's simply adhering to the regulation. Frankly if you opened a bank account using a number that you don't possess anymore, isn't their fault but yours.

Maybe they just care about their customers :)

Have you tried to call them to sort this out?
Not maybe, but certaintly. But who says that their INTENTION to improve things REALLY improves them?

Yeah, now I'll have to spend my time, top up skype and call to Georgia. Then wait on the hot line for 10 minutes. That's how things have improved. Buch of iditots.

Besides, a phone number, most probably, can't be changed via a call, but only via a visit.

Last edited:
They are simply following the PSD2 directive. Every bank in EU is following this procedure since the beginning of the year. Some banks send SMS while other use OTP generator apps but all must obey to that directive and since Georgia is very willing to join the EU it's simply adhering to the regulation. Frankly if you opened a bank account using a number that you don't possess anymore, isn't their fault but yours.

OTP generator - yes! But they don't offer any OTP generator except an OTP sent to a bloody shitty phone. And not for transactions, but for login to internet banking!

All is my fault. Who else's could it be?

But that's not it. From now on I'll have to insert that bloody OTP each time during login. What if my phone number happens to have no signal during travel, in a WHOLE COUNTRY? Not in a building, not in a field, but in a whole country. It has happened to me.

s**t, georgian sim cards don't work even in ARMENIA. Neigbouring countries.

Reactions: bizniz
I also had problems like this many times. Prepaid SIMs often don't work on roaming, but even when you have a post-paid SIM and enable roaming, no phone company in the world has total worldwide coverage, and then SMS frequently get lost. OTPs by SMS is a really inconvenient idea for nomads. Sometimes you can opt out by asking for an authenticator app or hardware OTP generator.

Bank of Georgia! Bloody bunch of idiots. They can't simply sit and let customers use their services, it itches them to ADD SOMETHING.

A phone number, a georgian phone, which I haven't used a single time ever, in 2 years, but I used it to open an account only. Now the bank, during login in internet banking, requires me to enter an OTP sent to that number!

I'm speachless. The situation is that they've added the security feature in order to prevent potentiial hackers to access my account. But it's me who now can't access my own account.

I dont know about your case, but my account can receive Email OTP which is totally ok for me so far

Reactions: bizniz

Latest Threads