Our valued sponsor

About Isle of Man corporate services

Sols

May 30, 2019
Visit site
This should probably be a separate thread. Maybe @Admin could split the posts about Isle of Man corporate services into a new thread?

Do you mean, that using local directors / shareholders *IS* recommended? The double negative logic is confusing me (and is often used wrongly anyway).
It is NOT recommended to NOT use local trustees.
...or...
It is recommended to use local trustees.

If this is what you mean, nominees would solve this? But I thought having nominees made it more difficult for banking?

If nominees are a help here, which is preferred:
1) directorship service by a local, licensed and regulated management firm.
2) directorship service by a local, licensed and regulated private individual.

(2) costs more than (1) so I assume it is better. But then again, I assume the individual is also director for many many firms, so surely that isn't great either?

First of all, Isle of Man and a few other jurisdictions (like Jersey, Guernsey) should be approached differently than for example BVI or Seychelles. In jurisdictions like BVI and Seychelles, the founder is often the shareholder and director. You retain full control of the company. Nominees aren't nearly as common and when they are used, they don't do much beyond just being appointed directors and/or holding shares. This often makes it very hard to open bank accounts.

In Isle of Man, it has always been standard that when a company is formed, the company's shareholder and directors are the trustee through which you form the company. This goes back to the medieval concepts of trusts. Nowadays, it helps qualify the company as tax resident in Isle of Man. Your role is purely as UBO giving instructions to the directors on what agreements to sign.

Since this is a well established structure and trustees often have decades long relationships with banks, it's generally easy to open bank accounts for Isle of Man companies like this. The trustees are licensed, so the bank can be confident that clients they present are trustworthy.

As for your two options, I would prefer option 1, since you then aren't tied to a single individual, in case of death, illness, incapacitation, or resignation. But only if you are working directly with the trustee. Don't rely on an intermediary. Having an agent is fine but you should always sign an agreement directly with the trustees and can go to them yourself if you ever need to.

The director will also have to serve as bank account signatory

Does that help with banking? Does it mean the nominee has full access to the bank account, so you have to just trust them?
Yes, so make sure you work directly with a licensed trustee.

You can find a list here: Register Search

If your introducer isn't on there, ask for the name of the company they work with.

By trustee, do you mean having a trust / foundation own the company? If so, what are the benefits and drawbacks of this
That's a long and probably separate discussion, but in essence it shields you (to a degree) from public disclosure and even certain liabilities, and it may help to establish tax residence. You should always consult with a local tax adviser first to make sure your structure is fine.

One drawback is it adds costs, complexity, and time to your business since everything has to pass through the directors provided by the trustee. Consider the full scope of costs and the impact to your business.

Reactions: JohnLocke
My apologies for going off topic, I didn't read the OP correctly the first time and didn't realise they question was specifically related to IOM for the whole post. Thought it was a separate unrelated question to the two mentioned banks (it was early when I posted)

You can continue the discussion in this thread :)

Reactions: Sols
Someone knows which EMI will work with ISM company ?

IOM is possibly one the hardest locations in the world to work with. Their registry is so selective about who they allow to incorporate, what the nature of business is, whether this will bring the island into disrepute etc. They have also introduced a local Director requirement and costs are quite honestly unrealistic. Banks in IOM have a similar attitude and want high deposit, low transaction business. They do not want to deal with people who transact and do business on a day to day basis. A better option for a company in an area like this is Gibraltar, which is a much more business orientated location and happy to help. I would personally avoid IOM now.

IOM is possibly one the hardest locations in the world to work with. Their registry is so selective about who they allow to incorporate, what the nature of business is, whether this will bring the island into disrepute etc. They have also introduced a local Director requirement and costs are quite honestly unrealistic. Banks in IOM have a similar attitude and want high deposit, low transaction business. They do not want to deal with people who transact and do business on a day to day basis. A better option for a company in an area like this is Gibraltar, which is a much more business orientated location and happy to help. I would personally avoid IOM now.

I've had very different experiences with Isle of Man when it comes to banking.

Forming a company certainly has more of a compliance process than Gibraltar and other more easy-going jurisdiction, but it's ultimately the same KYC and compliance song and dance you have to go through with a bank, so I don't see it as a problem having to do it upfront rather than wait until after the company is formed.

When it comes to banking, I have so far never had a Manx bank actually enforce the minimum deposit for a corporate account. As long as the projection figures in your business plan more or less align with what the bank wants to see (and you live up to that), that's been fine.

Have also never really run into any issues with transactions. Given the nature of using trustees and the additional costs associated with that, usually try to consolidate the work. I don't know if the banks really have any problem with frequent transactions, as long as they can be explained, supported, and are commensurate with the business.

I agree it's not an ideal setup for someone who needs to make frequent wires, but not because the bank has any problem with it. Rather, because you will get frustrated having to wait for the trustee signatory to actually take the action.

Reactions: James Turner
Does anyone have any information on the resident Isle of Man companies?

I have UK citizenship and am interested in:

1) buying a modest apartment/flat on The Isle
2) using that as my business address (real business, not risky)
3) setting up an IoM company + opening a bank
4) I would not spend much time on the island
5) pay modest income tax there

I am a UK citizen.

Reactions: Sir Gelato