Our valued sponsor

Any way to claim tax residency in Malaysia on a "tourist" visa ?

nomad999

Pro Member
Dec 3, 2019
Visit site
Anyone familiar with Malaysia would be so kind as to share some insight on claiming tax residency past the 183 days requirement ? What would be the best way to achieve that without a working visa but a mere "Social Pass" visa (extended indefinitely with the covid circus) for the year 2020 ? I don't mind paying a thousand or two in tax if that can help.
The ultimate prize would be a residency certificate but at this point even a tax ID referenced on some kind of official government document would do ...

My passport is from one of the top 5 EU countries.

Malaysia has a territorial taxation system and don't tax capital gains / dividend / interest if I am not mistaken. The minimum taxable income is in the range of 5-10k USD taxed from 3% to 8%.

My brillant ideas so far ...
- What if I just show up at the tax office with just my 183 day in the country (great plan I know...) ?
- Declaring some kind of income, what documents would they request in that case ? Would a bank statement be enough like it seems to be the case in Thailand ? What the risk if I bend the truth on that ?
- Buying and selling a property in the country before the end of the year ?
- Some shenaningans around incorporating a company in Malaysia perhaps ?

Any idea or advice is most welcome !

Anyone familiar with Malaysia would be so kind as to share some insight on claiming tax residency past the 183 days requirement ? What would be the best way to achieve that without a working visa but a mere "Social Pass" visa (extended indefinitely with the covid circus) for the year 2020 ? I don't mind paying a thousand or two in tax if that can help.
The ultimate prize would be a residency certificate but at this point even a tax ID referenced on some kind of official government document would do ...

Malaysia has a territorial taxation system and don't tax capital gains / dividend / interest if I am not mistaken. The minimum taxable income is in the range of 5-10k USD taxed from 3% to 8%.

- What if I just show up at the tax office with just my 183 day in the country (great plan I know...) ?
- Declaring some kind of income, what documents would they request in that case ? Would a bank statement be enough like it seems to be the case in Thailand ? What the risk if I bend the truth on that ?

Better find a local Malaysian lawyer or tax consultant who knows exactly what to do

Set up a company anywhere and pay yourself a salary in Malaysia

Better find a local Malaysian lawyer or tax consultant who knows exactly what to do
hmm not as easy as it looks to find someone able to help for uncommon cases like this.

Set up a company anywhere and pay yourself a salary in Malaysia
yea but a few roadblock though, you would need a corporate bank account (a nightmare currently) and a personal bank account in Malaysia and from my research it appears to be very hard to open a bank account without proper residency or work permit. I am not sure they will accept a salary paid in a foreign bank.

was hoping someone might have gone through this before and could shed some light ...

Latest Threads