Our valued sponsor

Bank account in Europe for US citizen.

why do Latvian banks refuse you? for a local individual residing in EU, getting a local bank account is like a basic human right now.
I applied to luminor bank. It is classic bank in latvia headquartered in estonia. However already for 1.5 month they like black hole. No answer from them no yes/no. Seb bank during application process told me precisily "we can not track American money, if you apply we highly likely reject you". Cetadele bank saied 350 application fee no guarantee. I know about eu regulation about bank account in eu member of state, however I think to enforce it I need to collect evidence and this end up in court. My aim to receive money, not sue all Latvian banks.

Have you tried Standard Bank in Channel Islands? (I'm not sure if they accept US citizens)
There is also Dukascopy in Switzerland.
Thank you

Last edited:
May be bank account in north macedonia?
I am not sure wheter it can work for a US citizen (for a RU citizen I guess not, nowadays); furthermore, a personal visit inevitable, AFAIK.
I opened Revolut, but it is not a solution, because it is not a bank
Just a remark, Revolut is a bank nowadays, technically. (Revolut possesses a banking licence.)
and some says money may hang for 6 months there and account may be blocked and reason also not stated.
It is perfectly true.
Thank you for your reply.
You are welcome.
I am in LV perfectly legally. I have residence permit already, but it is not helping.
Uhmm. Strange.
I opened Revolut, but a lot of people discourage me to wire 6 month salary to Revolut. They just block my account and do not state the reason as it is popular today.
Yes, I'd also discourage you.
I just need normal bank account. Not all these Ruul/Rimmut/Revolut/Payonner/paypal bs. They may block me for no reason. There are plenty of stories about Revolut block account for 6 months on the Internet because they do not like crypto/shop/etc... whatever.
Well, I think I understand your frustration; you have my sympathies.
Nevertheless,
1) Do not intermix Ruul/Rimmut vs. Revolut and Payoneer vs. Paypal. They are different institutions serving for different purposes. BTW, did you check what Ruul/Rimmut is? (And they do not block their customers.)
2) Be advised that – unfortunately – your account can be blocked and money freezed in a bank as well in an EMI. There is no difference re: this. (BTW, Revolut is a bank.) This is not the core of the problem.
may be north macedonia
See above.
or bosnia and herzegovina?
I do not know whether it can or cannot work for you; but AFAIK, the fees there are really oriented at desperate people...
Try Home | Ecommbx they are an EMI, but have a loyal attitude to their customers
I have no experience with them; but IIRC, @CyprusLawyer101 has and I guess he might be able to help you there.
Honestly, I do not consider it safe...
What's the name of this bank? (if you don't mind sharing)

Vontobel for us citizens
700k initial deposit is pretty expectable there. And to the best of my knowledge, it would be roughly the same – if not higher – in all Swiss private banks.
Try Schwab! Give them a call.
Yes, it can work.

Furthermore, try e.g. Verifo (as a U.S. citizen), I think they could onboard you.. It's a LT EMI; but quite trustworthy – IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyprusLawyer101

Latest Threads