Our valued sponsor

Best combination of high quality of life, entrepreneurial freedom and low taxes

Yes, I did the Mauritius commute nearly every week and it wasn't too bad as long as you can afford the cost of business class. I would regularly spend Sunday on the beach, driver picks you up at 7pm, jump on the 9pm to LGW, couple of drinks and go to sleep, wake up in LGW at 0600 and go to work. Only kicker is BA is running poverty business class (otherwise known as the dormitory) not the new suites. I would then work until Thursday, then bounce into Europe to start my overnight trip back to Mauritius (exiting Europe massively reduced the cost of the trip) landing in the morning in Mauritius. All very doable, only downside was running a UK business day from Mauritius and having a family there. Wake up at 0630 but don't start work until lunchtime and finish around 10pm, this was the hardest bit and ended up being the deal breaker....
Wow, well doing the flight twice a week would definitely overkill for me. However otherwise Mauritius might be an option, even though the lack of (I presume) Amazon, IKEA, large electronic stores etc. would make it not that appealing to me.

I never had any major issues. not fibre to every property (like Andorra) but ok. Anything from 10mb to 30mb, there is an area in the North of the island which is a massive development project called Mont Choisy Smart City, I believe all properties on this project have full fibre... IF we moved there full time this is probably where we would live.

Wow, well doing the flight twice a week would definitely overkill for me. However otherwise Mauritius might be an option, even though the lack of (I presume) Amazon, IKEA, large electronic stores etc. would make it not that appealing to me.
You would be surprised how developed it is. What took some getting used to was very modern 1st world directly alongside 3rd world, my wife would visit a spa which was surrounded by dilapidated falling down buildings but the spa was first class and a third of the price of the UK. See below links to just a couple of the malls, with more being built. You can shop 'almost' European / South African with many international brands. Prices are ok but it's an island so very heavy on Imports, fresh (European) fruit & veg which is not grown on island is expensive and not great quality, biggest downside is the price of alcohol, wine is very expensive, spirits work out cheaper, and local beer is ok. French is the No1 language but English is the 2nd language so all signs are in both languages and 99% of people speak both so things like paperwork are no issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: FixieHartmann
I never had any major issues. not fibre to every property (like Andorra) but ok. Anything from 10mb to 30mb, there is an area in the North of the island which is a massive development project called Mont Choisy Smart City, I believe all properties on this project have full fibre... IF we moved there full time this is probably where we would live.

You would be surprised how developed it is. What took some getting used to was very modern 1st world directly alongside 3rd world, my wife would visit a spa which was surrounded by dilapidated falling down buildings but the spa was first class and a third of the price of the UK. See below links to just a couple of the malls, with more being built. You can shop 'almost' European / South African with many international brands. Prices are ok but it's an island so very heavy on Imports, fresh (European) fruit & veg which is not grown on island is expensive and not great quality, biggest downside is the price of alcohol, wine is very expensive, spirits work out cheaper, and local beer is ok. French is the No1 language but English is the 2nd language so all signs are in both languages and 99% of people speak both so things like paperwork are no issues.

Lots of great information, thanks for that. Mont Choisy Smart City looks quite intriguing!

Latest Threads