Our valued sponsor

Question Best investment vehicle for Portuguese NHR?

tariq

Dec 2, 2021
EU
Visit site
Hi all

Could you please tip me on the best way of setting up an investment vehicle to pay myself dividends tax-free under Portuguese NHR I already have?
Understand everyone is sick with NHR already, at the same time I have done my homework well and spoken to a few Portugal consultants.
No two similar opinions, or guarantees and some consultants here are just tourist trap dummies :)
Happy to pay for consultation on the solid scheme if with a few references to EU/Portuguese tax code or rulings or court practice

Musts
- investment company / trust / LLC / Ltd, etc for purchasing and renting out property in the EU and investing in stocks, futures and other derivatives (Portugal CGT is 14%-28%...)
- occasional consulting service contracts may be done to EU companies but the last priority
- pay all profit to me as dividends so it is legally 0% under Portuguese NHR (As far as I understand director's salary would be taxed at 20% + social security under PT NHR)
- maintenance fees under $5000e yearly for lawyers, virtual office-secretary-directors, etc
- not banana republic to be able to get bank accounts and buy property in the EU
- no or under 20% corporate tax, otherwise to be able to use a bank card to pay director's (mine) living costs - accommodation, car, some travel and meals, attending training, software, subscription. May reposition to lifestyle blogging if needed
- as simple accountancy and reporting as possible (200-500K euros maximum in holdings)
- EU member as simplifies CFC requirements drastically from my understanding, if not then DTA and not on blacklist with Portugal

Good to have
- crypto-trading and banking friendly - to be able to legalize profits and take them out super fast if needed
- reporting in English and not the local language
- anonymity or asset protection from courts but not that necessary

Options that looked appealing for me so far, could you correct if missed anything?
- US LLC
pro - no taxation for non-residents, English, low maintenance and good reputation
con - SEC and IRS are quite harsh, another side of the planet from EU, some financial instrument limitations
- UK LLP
pro - no taxation for non-residents, English, low maintenance and good reputation, good DTA with Portugal and almost any other country
con - income is distributed to partners and cannot be withheld - would NHR consider it "dividends" or "salary" or "foreign income that may be taxed (but not taxed)"? At which tax rate?
- Estonia
pro - all digital and efficient, under 2000e maintenance? good reputation, EU member
con - 20% div withhold tax on the distribution, but distribution may be delayed and then some profits drained through salaries
- Cyprus
pro - 1.5% div tax and no tax on stock trading for non-residents?
con - non-English, high bureaucracy and ~5000e maintenance costs, "grey" reputation, need to hold meetings on Cyprus
- Malta
pro - 5% tax after rebate
con - high bureaucracy and ~5000e maintenance costs, "grey" reputation
- Romania and Bulgaria - EU, barely any taxes but "banana republics" which may be a problem long term and with setting up bank accounts :)

Reactions: headspin and lory
- US LLC
pro - no taxation for non-residents, English, low maintenance and good reputation
Can indeed work well for you. I have played around with such an entity and have only the best experience.
- Cyprus
con - non-English, high bureaucracy and ~5000e maintenance costs, "grey" reputation, need to hold meetings on Cyprus
Works well, no need for meetings - speak with @CyprusLaw or @Lawyer101 both are located in Cyprus I think to remember.

Hi all

Could you please tip me on the best way of setting up an investment vehicle to pay myself dividends tax-free under Portuguese NHR I already have?
Understand everyone is sick with NHR already, at the same time I have done my homework well and spoken to a few Portugal consultants.
No two similar opinions, or guarantees and some consultants here are just tourist trap dummies :)
Happy to pay for consultation on the solid scheme if with a few references to EU/Portuguese tax code or rulings or court practice

Musts
- investment company / trust / LLC / Ltd, etc for purchasing and renting out property in the EU and investing in stocks, futures and other derivatives (Portugal CGT is 14%-28%...)
- occasional consulting service contracts may be done to EU companies but the last priority
- pay all profit to me as dividends so it is legally 0% under Portuguese NHR (As far as I understand director's salary would be taxed at 20% + social security under PT NHR)
- maintenance fees under $5000e yearly for lawyers, virtual office-secretary-directors, etc
- not banana republic to be able to get bank accounts and buy property in the EU
- no or under 20% corporate tax, otherwise to be able to use a bank card to pay director's (mine) living costs - accommodation, car, some travel and meals, attending training, software, subscription. May reposition to lifestyle blogging if needed
- as simple accountancy and reporting as possible (200-500K euros maximum in holdings)
- EU member as simplifies CFC requirements drastically from my understanding, if not then DTA and not on blacklist with Portugal

Good to have
- crypto-trading and banking friendly - to be able to legalize profits and take them out super fast if needed

Options that looked appealing for me so far, could you correct if missed anything?
- US LLC
con - SEC and IRS are quite harsh, another side of the planet from EU, some financial instrument limitations
- UK LLP
pro - no taxation for non-residents, English, low maintenance and good reputation, good DTA with Portugal and almost any other country
con - income is distributed to partners and cannot be withheld - would NHR consider it "dividends" or "salary" or "foreign income that may be taxed (but not taxed)"? At which tax rate?
- Estonia
pro - all digital and efficient, under 2000e maintenance? good reputation, EU member
con - 20% div withhold tax on the distribution, but distribution may be delayed and then some profits drained through salaries
- Cyprus
- Malta
- Romania and Bulgaria - EU, barely any taxes but "banana republics" which may be a problem long term and with setting up bank accounts :)
As lory mentioned - Cyprus works very well with NHR, no need for meetings - you can use nominees. Happy to Pm you to discuss

Hi all

Musts

Good to have

- US LLC
- UK LLP
- Estonia
- Cyprus
- Malta

Hello, just found this thread as I'm also trying to go with the same structure in Portugal - do you have an update on what did you finally did for a setup? Thank you!

Depends on your situation but I would do the following for a case where you have crypto or still sitting on decent profits from the last bull run:

Incorporate in a proper jurisdiction where you are somewhat protected + there's crypto friendly banking but still low CIT and dividends tax (ex. Liechtenstein, 12.5% CIT and tax free dividends)
Use that as your main investment vehicle for crypto-trading, real estate, stocks (you can put your crypto as share capital as well, under the equivalent of 1mil eur I believe that's tax free)
Whether you want/need to fake PE or not, it's up to you

Then if you're under NHR already just create a proper paper trail that you held something for 1 year (for the upcoming changes in the Portuguese law regarding crypto taxation), can be faked as well if you are creative (hint: the FTX collapse might help you). Use this tax free for your daily expenses & large local purchases such as property or a car or whatever.

If you need a monthly salary just create a local company, or register as self-employed and spin the minimum that you need to pay those min. taxes. Or do the Cyprus/Malta/Estonia setup but only for the min. needs.

After you grow your investment company and you think it's time to buy a 5mil villa - move to a tax free country like Dubai and cash everything out of the Liechtenstein company. You'll have your Portugal citizenship by then I believe if that's the in the plan.