Our valued sponsor

Best way or service for receive debit card from EU bank

Mimimel

Feb 13, 2021
paris
Visit site
I left Europe (Malta) to go to America and next year I will have some problems to renew my EU cards (bunq, curve etc...). I have checked and all my banks only accept addresses or residence in the EU.

I'm looking for the best way to have an EU address to receive my cards and send them back to me.

I know from experience that most people use their family and use their address but I find that it is not necessarily the best.

why would it not be the best, you only need it to receive a new card and all is good? don't understand your problem
Yes but actualy i don't have any address in EU that is a problem.

Wise offers multi-currency card.
Paysera offers EUR cards, unsure if they offer outside the EU delivery.
Sifr (us) offer virtual cards but only USD.
Wise send his EUR card only in europe not outside. Not sure about paysera. but actualy my bank are bunq and n26 and they will never send a cart outside the EU.

If you are outside Europe, why would you need a plastic card ? virtual cards and applepay will do just fine - physical cards can be gained from a local US bank and you will avoid paying FX conversion and International transaction fees.

I left Europe (Malta) to go to America and next year I will have some problems to renew my EU cards (bunq, curve etc...). I have checked and all my banks only accept addresses or residence in the EU.

I'm looking for the best way to have an EU address to receive my cards and send them back to me.

I know from experience that most people use their family and use their address but I find that it is not necessarily the best.

Actually, I've been doing this for 25 years! That way I keep one foot in the UK, the other in Italy. My sibling has the same surname so it works very well and I contribute to the local 'council' tax to keep him happy. As far as anyone knows, I am resident there, but often on long business trips abroad. ;) Never had any problems. I may be bending a few rules, but I do not evade taxes or commit any financial fraud. I would be terrified!! Usually, that's what the authorities are interested in.

Actually, I've been doing this for 25 years! That way I keep one foot in the UK, the other in Italy. My sibling has the same surname so it works very well and I contribute to the local 'council' tax to keep him happy. As far as anyone knows, I am resident there, but often on long business trips abroad. ;) Never had any problems. I may be bending a few rules, but I do not evade taxes or commit any financial fraud. I would be terrified!! Usually, that's what the authorities are interested in.
Hi Steve, should one tell HMR or not when moving abroad? Better to stay under the radar as there are no financial penalties?

Hi Steve, should one tell HMR or not when moving abroad? Better to stay under the radar as there are no financial penalties?
Funnily enough, HMRC seem to be the only organisation that do know where I'm working and I do a tax declaration every year. No problem, since, despite Brexit, there is still a tax agreement in place, so I don't get taxed twice. In any case, I have most investments held inside ISAs which don't have to be declared, so if HMRC ever decide to share info via CRS reporting, the amount will be very small. Fortunately, all my UK banks think that I'm still in the UK - thank goodness!
If you have a UK address, then yes, you could keep quiet, keep yourself on the electoral register, council tax register etc. But be careful not to do anything illegal, evade tax etc. Loads of people are nomadic and the authorities know that people move about more these days, and they don't seem to worry about where you are as long as you're paying the correct amount of tax.

Reactions: Candoit
Funnily enough, HMRC seem to be the only organisation that do know where I'm working and I do a tax declaration every year. No problem, since, despite Brexit, there is still a tax agreement in place, so I don't get taxed twice. In any case, I have most investments held inside ISAs which don't have to be declared, so if HMRC ever decide to share info via CRS reporting, the amount will be very small. Fortunately, all my UK banks think that I'm still in the UK - thank goodness!
If you have a UK address, then yes, you could keep quiet, keep yourself on the electoral register, council tax register etc. But be careful not to do anything illegal, evade tax etc. Loads of people are nomadic and the authorities know that people move about more these days, and they don't seem to worry about where you are as long as you're paying the correct amount of tax.
Ok I see. However the gov website says tell your council website too when you move abroad. By staying on the electoral roll, council tax register, GP it indicates your 'centre of vital interests' remain in the UK, so you are more likely to be deemed UK tax resident. Perhaps its a good thing from NHS and state pension purposes but will mean being liable for CGT/IHT, etc despite physically being abroad.

Reactions: Jerry1911
Ok I see. However the gov website says tell your council website too when you move abroad. By staying on the electoral roll, council tax register, GP it indicates your 'centre of vital interests' remain in the UK, so you are more likely to be deemed UK tax resident. Perhaps its a good thing from NHS and state pension purposes but will mean being liable for CGT/IHT, etc despite physically being abroad.
Well, CGT is not an issue and I'm not too worried about IHT when I shake off my mortal coils. Actually, I have the feeling that italian IHT is more generous than in the UK. I am not yet eligible for a state pension and will cross that bridge when I come to it. I did consider making voluntary contributions but decided against it.
Besides residency, there is the matter of domicile. It's not always straightforward and the gov.uk sites are not always clear, but as long as you have some attachment to a country, you can consider yourself domiciled there even if you don't live there all the time.
I'm also registered with the same NHS surgery and request a prescription about every 3 years to ensure that I stay on their database. The prescription charge £9.35 is higher than the real cost of the medication (8€), so my conscience is clear on that front. Apart from wanting to avoid my bank accounts being closed, the desire to remain registered in the UK is more sentimental than anything else.

Reactions: Candoit

Yes it is probably the esay way to use family of friend address. The only problem will be the balance of the bank account, on some country like France the bank report all to the gouvernement. So you can be considered as a tax resident of the country and this is a problem... After I do it with curve which is not even a bank so almost no risk. I'm also going to change my EUR assets in USD which will be easier, but this is really not the right time for now.

That's not true. If you need a new card, they will ship it anywhere in the world
it's bad I'm banned from them, I'm waiting to have a second passport to try again

Yes it is probably the esay way to use family of friend address. The only problem will be the balance of the bank account, on some country like France the bank report all to the gouvernement. So you can be considered as a tax resident of the country and this is a problem... After I do it with curve which is not even a bank so almost no risk. I'm also going to change my EUR assets in USD which will be easier, but this is really not the right time for now.

it's bad I'm banned from them, I'm waiting to have a second passport to try again
I do not see the problem. If you live and work in France, then surely you have to pay tax in France anyway. I simply want to keep my affairs in two countries completely separate.
How does Curve help? It simply takes cash from your various accounts. It doesn't change the fact that those accounts exist.
But one solution may be to spread your cash between many EMI accounts with IBANs in other countries, e.g. Monese, Bankera, Paysend, Sogexia etc and new banks e.g. N26, Revolut, Bunq etc. As far as I know, in Italy, only balances over 5000€ must be reported to the tax authorities. However, I would not advise anyone to try and cheat on their taxes in Italy. I believe that the fines are astronomical! Despite my honesty, I take my privacy very seriously and do my best to keep 'under the radar' and my name off any databases. I do not even use supermarket loyalty cards, since all info is made available to the authorities who have powerful algorithms that can analyse the data and pick people, often at random, for 'financial controls'.

I do not see the problem. If you live and work in France, then surely you have to pay tax in France anyway. I simply want to keep my affairs in two countries completely separate.
How does Curve help? It simply takes cash from your various accounts. It doesn't change the fact that those accounts exist.
But one solution may be to spread your cash between many EMI accounts with IBANs in other countries, e.g. Monese, Bankera, Paysend, Sogexia etc and new banks e.g. N26, Revolut, Bunq etc. As far as I know, in Italy, only balances over 5000€ must be reported to the tax authorities. However, I would not advise anyone to try and cheat on their taxes in Italy. I believe that the fines are astronomical! Despite my honesty, I take my privacy very seriously and do my best to keep 'under the radar' and my name off any databases. I do not even use supermarket loyalty cards, since all info is made available to the authorities who have powerful algorithms that can analyse the data and pick people, often at random, for 'financial controls'.
Yes but im not living in EU, so use an EU address can cause some issues. Curve help to plug virtual card to an physical card and it is not a bank so you can use any address you want.

just open a stealth account.