Our valued sponsor

British tourist murdered by prison guards in Dubai

He ignored rule #1 of Dubai: Commit any crime you want as long as the victim isn't in the UAE.

Same thing with this Ryan Cornelius guy I keep hearing about who's doing 20 years in Dubai jail. What did these people think was going to happen?
True ,The old joke was that there were more Brit gangsters in the average bar than at a Pentonville prison roll call.

Based on the article it comes across as if he died because of being beaten up. Imo a little bit too much of a punishment.

It also comes across as if he was having mental health issues. Negligence from the police perhaps when that was not addressed? Also too much to kill someone for that.

I’m not going into the part about the why. The article doesn’t really go into that. Given that it’s a highly religious country he should and could know that certain behaviour was off limits. If he crossed that line then there is a consequence. Beaten to death is too much.

I understand his family wanting to know what happened and specifically why. They don’t get their son back. They probably only want closure. After 11 years I hope they get that much. And I also hope that Dubai will facilitate that for the family.

As in punishing the officers that beat him to death… it was too much. Mental health issues not addressed. At the same time “f**k around and find out”. You are in a different country. You could say 180 degrees different from what the UK is. UAE does not have to adapt to you. You have to adapt to the UAE regardless of any issues you might have.

I glad that I’m not the judge as I also would understand the struggle of the police officers. I cannot imagine nor believe they beat him to let him die. Lack of knowledge on how to deal with mental health issues… yes. Then again, the officers are only as good as they are trained.

Portuguese border police (SEF) just killed a Ukrainian citizen right inside Lisbon’s airport a couple of years ago. He was beaten too.

Portugal is said to be a first world country of the EU. Nothing exclusive to the UAE or other less democratic countries.

How did we get to the point where being beaten is equal to being beaten to death?
Also not sure what died in custody is supposed to allude to? People die in prison all the time (fights between inmates, etc.) but being beaten to death by a guard usually is not one of them.

This Arab dictatorship sounds like a nice place

Also interesting that he stayed in Burj Al-Arab hotel, definitely not some poor backpacker.

It's old news, sad, but from 2011.

UAE is a very safe country, but if you get into trouble, you have a very serious problem.

Unfortunately there are injustices everywhere, if you want we can talk about Spain, thousands of men end up in jail every year for false accusations.
Any crazy drama queen can falsely report a man to the police and even if there is no proof at all, the man goes straight to jail for 24-72 hours, until the court decides to release him.

In Italy this was routine, until they managed to demonstrate it in a famous case, Stefano Cucchi. He was beaten to death by the police which said he died by natural causes. He was a junkie and did nothing to anyone.

Latest Threads