Our valued sponsor

Building an app to track total networth across brokerages. Anyone wants to be a tester?

avalanche

Pro Member
Aug 13, 2019
emi.directory
I've got multiple accounts with different brokers and its a hassle to keep track of the total networth. So I'm creating an app that will keep track of things for me. Here's an early design sketch (numbers are placeholder):

Dark Mode=True.png

Anyone wants to be an early tester or would like to share their experience of tracking own portfolio?

I've got multiple accounts with different brokers and its a hassle to keep track of the total networth. So I'm creating an app that will keep track of things for me. Here's an early design sketch (numbers are placeholder):

View attachment 4101

Anyone wants to be an early tester or would like to share their experience of tracking own portfolio?
Sure but i'm divested across multiple regions and about 1,000 positions.
Can it track that much in real time?

Sure but i'm divested across multiple regions and about 1,000 positions.
Can it track that much in real time?
First version of the software won't be calculating positions separately, I'm just going to use total portfolio value provided by the brokerage. What brokerages do you use?

How do you handle 2FA?
There's no need for the app to have access to your password so there's no 2FA required. App will have read-only access to your account, so it won't be able to trade on your behalf.

make it open source so I can see there is nothing wrong in the logic and I can be a tester ;)
I understand that you may be concerned if the data is being sent somewhere.. Hmm Im actually thinking of how to make this app transparent for the user yet retain its commercial value for myself in long term

Last edited:
Actually I was going to store all data locally on the user's computer without sending any data outside.

Okay but how do you transmit the data between the brokerages and the client?
If your making direct requests to the brokerages network you have to deal with many response codes and different scenarios, rather than if you made your own centralized service with oauth for example.

Not to mention if you directly query the brokerages you will need to walk your clients through setting up an API key or potentially you ask them to input their login details right in your application... no good.

Focus on creating a portfolio tracker which the user can add their own purchases/sales, and then provide a secondary option for syncing with brokerages.

Not to mention you maintain more control with your own portfolio tracker...

Infact, thats a business in itself. Web based portfolio, crypto, token and brokerage investment tracker? Lets talk...

Okay but how do you transmit the data between the brokerages and the client?
Yes, the app will send direct requests to brokerages.

If your making direct requests to the brokerages network you have to deal with many response codes and different scenarios, rather than if you made your own centralized service with oauth for example.
I dont see a problem with managing response codes on the client, it will be the same code as if you did it on the server side. Not all brokerages support OAuth unfortunately.

Not to mention if you directly query the brokerages you will need to walk your clients through setting up an API key or potentially you ask them to input their login details right in your application... no good.
There's no need for the app to have access to the login details, only to the read-only API key that doesn't give the app access to money.

Focus on creating a portfolio tracker which the user can add their own purchases/sales, and then provide a secondary option for syncing with brokerages.

Not to mention you maintain more control with your own portfolio tracker...
I dont use FTX app for this very reason: tracking every single move you make manually is a tedious process. Aside from this, there are plenty of options already that allow this kind of tracking. I'd like to build something automated :)

Infact, thats a business in itself. Web based portfolio, crypto, token and brokerage investment tracker? Lets talk...
Are you looking to contribute to the project?

We recommend clients: finary.com

Seems to be the marketleader in this niche - you can link all brogerkage/crypto exchange/ bank accounts via API - yes horrible for privacy but you can track by inserting manual all positions like you intend to do here as well so they only have an email address and some random numbers.

We recommend clients: finary.com

Seems to be the marketleader in this niche - you can link all brogerkage/crypto exchange/ bank accounts via API - yes horrible for privacy but you can track by inserting manual all positions like you intend to do here as well so they only have an email address and some random numbers.
Cool software, thank you! However I tried to connect my IBKR account to Finary and the consent form included the right of Finary to place orders on my account. Is it possible to turn it off?

One thing is trusting software with viewing your balance and totally different thing: trusting it with access to trading capabilities
Monosnap Login | Interactive Brokers 2022-09-24 15-00-30.png

Cool software, thank you! However I tried to connect my IBKR account to Finary and the consent form included the right of Finary to place orders on my account. Is it possible to turn it off?

One thing is trusting software with viewing your balance and totally different thing: trusting it with access to trading capabilities
View attachment 4102
You need to check with them - just thought I mention this tool here - no first hand experience.

Latest Threads