Our valued sponsor

Can I become a resident of the US by buying real estate ?

lmd95

May 28, 2021
Malta
Visit site
Hi so I’m from Western Europe. Today after watching some documentary on youtube saying that Wyoming is the most empty and poorest state in the US I got the crazy idea to buy some shack there and go live there. I work online in freight shipping consulting so work shouldn’t be a problem.

Just asking for the sake of the interest actually. Why not do this it could be fun you only live once.

Thanks and regards.

First check that your nationality is listed here: Treaty Countries

Then make sure E-2 is a good fit for you: https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/temporary-workers/e-2-treaty-investors

Can't remember ever having been involved in an E-2 process, so I wouldn't be able to make a specific recommendation. I'd just look into major law firms that include immigration as a stated practice area. Look around for reviews.

Does this give you US citizenship faster?

Does this give you US citizenship faster?
E2 visa does not lead to citizenship.
The E-2 visa is a non-immigration visa, meaning it is temporary and does not lead to permanent residency or citizenship. You can be on an E2 Visa and live in the US for years as long as you meet the obligations of the Visa.
The EB5 Visa is an immigration visa that allows you to obtain permanent residency. Once you meet the conditions of the EB-5 program, including the creation of jobs and the successful removal of conditional residency, you can apply for citizenship.
So if your objective is citizenship, then EB5 is the go. There is plenty of information online about EB5 (requirements, timeframes, etc...). Keep in mind it is an investor Visa so there is a investment to be made, I think it is about $800K.

Reactions: Wolf and Alexmorgan
E2 visa does not lead to citizenship.
The E-2 visa is a non-immigration visa, meaning it is temporary and does not lead to permanent residency or citizenship. You can be on an E2 Visa and live in the US for years as long as you meet the obligations of the Visa.
The EB5 Visa is an immigration visa that allows you to obtain permanent residency. Once you meet the conditions of the EB-5 program, including the creation of jobs and the successful removal of conditional residency, you can apply for citizenship.
So if your objective is citizenship, then EB5 is the go. There is plenty of information online about EB5 (requirements, timeframes, etc...). Keep in mind it is an investor Visa so there is a investment to be made, I think it is about $800K.
Hi thanks a lot for the insightful answer. Maybe a dumb question, but can I get a US drivers license if I’m on e2 visa ? Thanks a lot for the answer. Regards

Last edited:
Hi thanks a lot for the insightful answer. Maybe a dumb question, but can I get a US drivers license if I’m on e2 visa ? Thanks a lot for the answer. Regards
Good question actually and often overlooked.
As with most things the answer is yes but.
The residency requirement for obtaining a U.S. driver's license is different in each State. Best to look up the Dept of Motor Vehicles in the State in which you wish to reside to see what their process is, documents they require etc... Obviosuly you can start driving by using your current license and an International Driving Permit (IDP).

Reactions: lmd95
Who said it's easy? The visa process is quite arduous and EB-5 requires an investment of 1-2 million USD (depending on where in the country it is).
read topic description! thanks for clarification

If you become resident by investment do you owe taxes to the US on your worldwide income?
Depends on how much time you spend in the US.

Can you become resident by investment but not spend there more than few weeks per year?
Yes, there are certain thresholds to consider but if we're talking a few weeks a year, the IRS will probably not come after your worldwide income. Only your US-sourced or US-connected income.

Reactions: MichelRippon989
Why in the world would anyone want to move there?
Have you been there (at least as a tourist)?

My advice for you is go spend a month or two there as a tourist first.
Usually it's people who need a visa to visit US want to move there. Try getting a US tourist visa with some 3rd world passport. It's like winning a lottery for someone lol

Who would want to immigrate to US investing millions? Unless you have really good business case I don't see how it's worth. Especially if you are from western europe. Europe is much better place to live than US
Also by becoming US resident you will be in their tax net of worldwide income. It will get harder to get bank accounts in EU etc. Nobody want US residents

Who would want to immigrate to US investing millions?
People with opinions different than yours. Scary, I know.

Also by becoming US resident you will be in their tax net of worldwide income.
And if you live in Europe, you'll be taxed on your worldwide income. What's the difference?

It will get harder to get bank accounts in EU etc. Nobody want US residents
It's not 2008—2010 anymore. Banks are adapted to FATCA. The US person scare is gone. AFAIK, there are very few institutions left in EU/EEA that take non-EU/EEA residents but specifically excludes US persons.