Our valued sponsor

CBI St. Kitts + Taxes

eRabbit

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi everybody.
I currently work as an affiliate marketer and have a business for that.
If I buy a St. Kitts CBI, and move there, how much taxes would I pay for affiliate marketing/YouTuber work? Would I pay no taxes? Would I need to open a local business? If I did, would I have to pay taxes for that? Otherwise, what would be the best set-up in order to pay 0% tax?

Hi everybody.
If I buy a St. Kitts CBI, and move there, how much taxes would I pay for affiliate marketing/YouTuber work?
Would I pay no taxes?
you would pay 0 taxes. but be mindful that Youtube/Google will withhold about 24% of your total revenue if your country of residence doesn't have a tax treaty with the US. St kitts does have a DTT with the US, but it's only limited to social security benefits.
Would I need to open a local business? If I did, would I have to pay taxes for that?
Don't. It's 33%. although you can reduce it massively, you still won't be able to get any good transactional bank account for your company
Otherwise, what would be the best set-up in order to pay 0% tax?
Legally, if you incorporate a company offshore but you still manage it from st kitts, your company will be considered a tax resident in Nevis (PE rules kicks in) and will pay the regular CIT. it's not really enforceable in practice however, but if I would play that card, I would rather stay in a territorial tax country like Malaysia (I have a base there and it's a beautiful country) or Thailand and not staying in an island. The passport is nice a collectible and a good travel option, but staying long-term on the island, however, is not.
But this is just my personal preference. So you do you.

Hi everybody.
If I buy a St. Kitts CBI, and move there, how much taxes would I pay for affiliate marketing/YouTuber work? Would I pay no taxes? Would I need to open a local business? If I did, would I have to pay taxes for that? Otherwise, what would be the best set-up in order to pay 0% tax?

What passport do you hold? Why you considering a CBI? ns2

Youtube/Google will withhold about 24% of your total revenue if your country
Curious, will they simply keep the 24% in their pockets or to whom will they pay this withholding tax?

I have a Portuguese Passport and am currently in Italy where I get a 90% tax exemption, virtually ending up paying about 2.5% of what I earn in taxes.
So, if I work with various affiliate marketing platforms, and other brands from the EU and the US earning affiliate commissions, I'm assuming they'd also keep 24% of my earnings if I was residing in St. Kitts?
The thing is that most of these platforms and brands require an invoice, and if I was residing in St. Kitts, or other tax free country, how would I provide them an invoice? What would be other options for eeping my taxes as low as possible on my current situation? The tax benefits I currently have only last five years at 90% exemption and five other years at a 50% exemption.
Maybe opening an LLC and moving to a territorial tax country?

I have a Portuguese Passport and am currently in Italy where I get a 90% tax exemption, virtually ending up paying about 2.5% of what I earn in taxes.

brother cmon you are paying peanuts and you get to live in a nice place, why would you want more than this.

The thing is that most of these platforms and brands require an invoice, and if I was residing in St. Kitts, or other tax free country, how would I provide them an invoice?

Just by creating one but if you do biz with Europe theres a bunch of jurisdictions that wont accept a st kitts invoice as tax deductible.
What would be other options for eeping my taxes as low as possible on my current situation? The tax benefits I currently have only last five years at 90% exemption and five other years at a 50% exemption.

Rather go live in UAE, a boring island is the Caribbean (careful here cause not only is boring af, shits expensive there) or go live in a mismanaged country where the IRS will leave you alone (Mexico, Thailand, Indonesia, Brazil, etc)

Maybe opening an LLC and moving to a territorial tax country?

Doable yeah, Thailand is popular for this

Reactions: Donsted
brother cmon you are paying peanuts and you get to live in a nice place, why would you want more than this.

Just by creating one but if you do biz with Europe theres a bunch of jurisdictions that wont accept a st kitts invoice as tax deductible.

Rather go live in UAE, a boring island is the Caribbean (careful here cause not only is boring af, shits expensive there) or go live in a mismanaged country where the IRS will leave you alone (Mexico, Thailand, Indonesia, Brazil, etc)

Doable yeah, Thailand is popular for this
I'd stay here, no problem! I'm just wondering due to possible changes in the near future. My accountant told me something last week about exceeding a certain threshold and having to switch to a different tax scheme, so I don't know how long I'll have access to the aforementioned benefits...

Yeah, sounds like St. Kitts isn't a great option after all! I'd rather go somewhere that isn't as artificial as UAE. I consider UAE, Dubai, etc. boring for what I like to do in my spare time with my family, I'd rather be somewhere with history and culture.

Also, I can't just be somewhere where the IRS is incompetent, I need to have some sort of set up with a company or freelancing for invoicing the companies I earn commissions from.

What could be the best option for this? Costa Rica? Panama? Uruguay? Thailand? Malaysia? Mexico, maybe? Or setting up a company somewhere that pays 0% tax and settle in a country with territorial tax?

Thanks for the help and tips!

How exactly you get 90% tax exemption in Italy?
If you're not Italian, or if you're Italian but haven't had your residency in Italy for the past 5 years (or 10, can't remember), then you can move to Italy and get a 70% tax exemption regardless of where you move to. If you move to some specific regions, the exemption is raised to 90% of your income.
For this, you need to open a sole proprietorship/freelancing (ditta individuale/partita IVA), the income you receive needs to be invoiced through it, but it goes to your account as regular, and you can spend it however you like.
The exemption can be extended to 10 years at 90% if you buy a house in your first year, and if you have three children in your first five years.
If you only buy a house in your first year, then the tax exemption still gets extended to 10 years, but after five years it's reduced to 50% instead of 90%.
Meanwhile, I've talked to my accountant and he clarified what he meant. He didn't mean that I'd lose the tax exemption after a certain threshold, he simply meant that after a certain threshold, maybe we could work out a different scheme that could be even more beneficial.

If you're not Italian, or if you're Italian but haven't had your residency in Italy for the past 5 years (or 10, can't remember), then you can move to Italy and get a 70% tax exemption regardless of where you move to. If you move to some specific regions, the exemption is raised to 90% of your income.
For this, you need to open a sole proprietorship/freelancing (ditta individuale/partita IVA), the income you receive needs to be invoiced through it, but it goes to your account as regular, and you can spend it however you like.
The exemption can be extended to 10 years at 90% if you buy a house in your first year, and if you have three children in your first five years.
If you only buy a house in your first year, then the tax exemption still gets extended to 10 years, but after five years it's reduced to 50% instead of 90%.
Meanwhile, I've talked to my accountant and he clarified what he meant. He didn't mean that I'd lose the tax exemption after a certain threshold, he simply meant that after a certain threshold, maybe we could work out a different scheme that could be even more beneficial.
As a simple example:
You make €100,000 per year
90% is exempt (€90,000)
You are taxed on €10,000
The tax rate for someone making 10K per year is 23%
You pay €2,300 in annual taxes, which is 2.3% of what you really made
It's quite silly how they don't promote this more, and how not many people know about it, I'm glad I found out about it.

Reactions: JimBeam
Thanks.
I found more details in here:

Found this part
"The exemption applies only to income taxes. It does not apply to statutory social security contributions (pension and healthcare) which will be calculated on 100% of salary."
So it only applies to tax, not to the social contributions. Can you share more details on these as well?

This is probably a good for freelancers or professional looking to stay in Italy.
Also, not sure if you can use public healthcare (how good is it) or pension (once they move out after 5 or 10 years or so).

I've never used the public healthcare, or school system anywhere in the world and intend to keep it that way, anything coming from the government I skip apart from giving me back my money in the form of a pension or something, I have a private insurance here for €2000/year which covers everything around the world for myself and my family.
Regarding the pension, yes, I'll get it in some years (if the whole system doesn't collapse in the meantime), and I won't reject them giving me back my money.
I'd heard about the healthcare being calculated on the entire salary, but so far, I only had to pay something like €3000/year for close to €200K annual income, so the total tax + social security still amounts to a very low number, can't complain! I'll let you know how much I pay this year.
Additionally, I also bought two apartments in my first year, and I am making renovations now to turn them into Airbnbs.
50% of the money spent on renovations is given back to you as government credits split by 10 years.
So, if you spend €100,000 in renovations, you get an additional €5000 yearly credit for a 10-year period that you can use for paying for taxes, social security, and other government-related expenses.
If you have an excess of credits, you can also sell them to someone else discounted (sell €1000 in government credits for €700 as an example, or for whatever you can sell them for).
This year I'm probably going to buy credits from a friend who offered to sell them to me at a 25% discount, furthering the savings.

I'd heard about the healthcare being calculated on the entire salary, but so far, I only had to pay something like €3000/year for close to €200K annual income, so the total tax + social security still amounts to a very low number, can't complain! I'll let you know how much I pay this year.
I guess there is some "cap" for both healthcare and pension. 3k/year is really nothing.
How much do you pay for pension?

Additionally, I also bought two apartments in my first year and I am making renovations now to turn them into Airbnbs, 50% of the money spent on renovations is given back to you as tax credits split by 10 years. So, if you spend €100,000 in renovations, you get an additional €5000 yearly credit that you can use for paying for taxes, social security, and other government-related expenses.
I know that some regions will give you tax credit for renovations that include the works on the facades of the buildings or some other things like fixing land slides etc.
Do you get 50% tax credit on 10 years on all the works? In what region are you?

If you have an excess of credits, you can also sell them to someone else at a discount (sell €1000 in tax credits for €700 as an example).
You can transfer your tax credit to a third person!?!? LOL
Not like your wife or parents - than to a totally unknown person?
Can you also "buy" the tax credit at about the same rate?

I guess there is some "cap" for both healthcare and pension. 3k/year is really nothing.
How much do you pay for pension?
Social security includes both healthcare and pension
I know that some regions will give you tax credit for renovations that include the works on the facades of the buildings or some other things like fixing land slides etc.
Do you get 50% tax credit on 10 years on all the works? In what region are you?
Right now it's everywhere, until some months ago they even had a 110% bonus called Superbonus, but I think that's gone now, needless to say, that it was a complete debacle with constructors charging ridiculous amounts of money since the bill was on the government (people's taxes)—driving to crazy inflation in prices for renovations
You can transfer your tax credit to a third person!?!? LOL
Not like your wife or parents - than to a totally unknown person?
Can you also "buy" the tax credit at about the same rate?
Yes! The friend I'm referring to is actually my accountant, who told me he had about €10K extra in credits that I could buy from him

Reactions: JimBeam
Social security includes both healthcare and pension

Right now it's everywhere, until some months ago they even had a 110% bonus called Superbonus, but I think that's gone now, needless to say, that it was a complete debacle with constructors charging ridiculous amounts of money since the bill was on the government (people's taxes)—driving to crazy inflation in prices for renovations

Yes! The friend I'm referring to is actually my accountant, who told me he had about €10K extra in credits that I could buy from him

Could you confirm that the tax rate is like this, applying to 10% of total income? From what you said your total income is almost 200k and has 2.5% effective tax rate...then the income tax you paid is EUR 3450 + 25% on income exceeding 15k and up to 28k, right? Assuming your total income is 190k then per my calculation your income tax is EUR 4450 (2.34% of 190k)

tax rates.png

For social security contribution 3000/190000 aka about 1.6% of total income. Calculating upon a base taxable amount of 10% total income then the real SS contribution rate is about 16%. I saw a US. person on this regime on Reddit with similar SS rate like this.

That means that in your case, income tax + social security amount to 2.34%+1.6% aka 3.9% (7450) of total income (assumed 190k)? Can you confirm this? If only 4% then this is better than many European countries which all amount to 10% or more. Only Georgia 1% tax of up to 165k USD income is cheaper than this Italian rate.

And also with this special regime, can the freelancer have the path to Italian citizenship after X years?

Last edited:

Latest Threads