Our valued sponsor

Company Formation in the UAE and Residency - what are the exact costs?

Thanks, that’s valuable input.
The insurance broker I spoke to said that Globality has rules against premium hikes. They can’t just increase prices to make you cancel your plan voluntarily.
Of course there will be some restrictions - but I’m sure Cigna would have similar rules?
There’s also Foyer, which is supposed to be very good as well.
If all else fails, I could always go back to my home country, so I’m not too worried about that. As you mentioned, the simple cases will always be covered, but I am worried when you need to renew your plan, and as far as I have understood, with Cigna and others you never get insurance “forever”.
You can ask the broker to show you where does it say like that. In which T&C or policy wording.
After many years being insured at various companies there is one thing I learned: there is nothing "forever".

I can give you countless of examples:
1. I was with Now Health for few years, but since DHA compliance rules were introduced, they increased the premium by 40%. This has become a very expensive option. Which is a pity as they were one of the very few insurance providers where out-patient claims up to $600 I think did not require any forms to be filled / signed by doctors.

2. I switched to Aviva who entered UAE market, disregarded (!) pre-existing conditions for new customers and had very good pricing and coverage. Aviva kept increasing the premium every year by 50%, as they simply undervalued their offer. At some point it has became unsustainable both for them and customers, so they sold UAE business to Aetna. Aviva was great because they had no "customary & reasonable" wording in place, you could send them a bill without claim form signed by doctor (not all countries are familiar with filling claims) and they would pay it. Aetna was not that great anymore.

3. Globality exit UK due to to brexit and policies will be taken over by Bupa. Bupa will obviously offer them much higher premiums than Globality.

4. You can develop a serious medical condition with insurance provider that won't allow you to continue the coverage in your home country or the insurance law rules can change midway: e.g. today they can but in 5 years they won't be able because something has changed in your home country laws.

There is no "forever" in this business, so I learned it is not worth paying for the most expensive / top insurance providers, neither it is worth paying for the cheapest ones. You just have to use commons sense and pick what you feel will give you best value for your money and health.

Reactions: JustAnotherNomad
Thanks, sounds good.
Still, what I meant was that Globality and Foyer don’t have this renewal concept and they also (allegedly) have rules in place against premium hikes.
What I’m most worried about is the insurance provider deeming me “too expensive” and trying to get rid of me. The way that broker presented it, Globality and Foyer offer protection against that.

Thanks, sounds good.
Still, what I meant was that Globality and Foyer don’t have this renewal concept and they also (allegedly) have rules in place against premium hikes.
What I’m most worried about is the insurance provider deeming me “too expensive” and trying to get rid of me. The way that broker presented it, Globality and Foyer offer protection against that.
The question is how good this Foyer and Globality are in setting up payment guarantees once you are hospitalised in UAE for example. Aetna, Cigna, Bupa, Axa these are large and well established insurance providers that have to abide by the local rules and regulations. Never heard of Foyer before but it looks interesting. Also it seems you can apply even if you are in UAE. Globality is a bit more cautious in this regards it seems.

Reactions: JustAnotherNomad
I contacted the service provider again. They said that indeed the UAE health insurance isn’t required by all free zones.
If you still want one just for compliance (in case your proper health insurance company demands it), then the cheapest option is about AED 800 per year. Very affordable in other words. (Obviously you would never use it.)

- For UAE, be resident there by entering once every 180 days and keep the company there, and all my bank accounts there.
No wife, no kids, no property ( unless I buy something with the company ), not more than 182 days in any state.

I just deregistered my RAK FZE after 3 years.
While RAK FZE was the top choice around 3 years back, nowadays it's a bit unjustified if you are not really make use of it.
The setup is quite tedious as you can imagine because UAE government consider it one of their local entities so they have to be 100% sure who is the investor, what is the nature etc.
Please bear in mind that RAK is gaining their income from selling licenses and providing services.
They know mostly use them to have zero income and a almost safe VISA.
You need to provide a lot of documents, visit UAE for medical check up (the one done oversea involved endorsement of medical report from local authorities with obvious consequences).
Last time it took me one week laying in UAE.
Monday medical checkup, blood test (they ban HIV AIDS customers), finger print scan, etc.
Done before noon time.
I was staying in Dubai and I had to go RAK two times.... one time for medical checkup, open PO box, and then second time to collect the VISA.
One more visit later on require you to collect the EMIRATES ID which open doors to personal bank account, rent apartment, phone lines, etc ...
Setup RAK FZE (sole proprietor) in FLEXI share package cost from EUR 10.000 to EURO 20.000 based on the license you wish to have.
Apart from this, please consider RAK PORTAL which cost you another 2/5.000 AED, renewal license fees every year (from EUR 4.000 to EURO 10.000) etc.
You have to report VAT quarterly.
If your goods is not transiting in UAE you must apply for exemption.
If your turnover is not above US$ 250k, RAK is not worth it at all.
If you own only one passport and this is Italian, you may face consequences.
One of my friend, after passport scanner leaving from Italy (from MXP airport) was stopped by Guardia di Finanza.
They checked his passport and found the VISA UAE sticker.
They bring him in their office and dig out everything.
In my case I have 3 passports (thanks to my parents and my wife) so I use the 3rd one for all the VISA.
My main passport which is also my resident country, is clean and few stamps only like a normal tourist.
RAK FZE certain companies are required to audit and submit their account like other countries like Italy, germani etc.
One last thing.... UAE implemented from 1st June compulsary the ESR (Economic Substance Regulation)
You can google for it.

Unless is very justified to have a RAK FZE nowadays (serious trading etc) many people today they simply buy an holiday house in Dubai. Indeed this is what I have switch to.
I have bought a flat in a condo resort with security etc inclusive of tennis court, swimming pool.
I rent out 11 months a year and I keep for myself for 1 or 2 months max.
I have an agent which is taking care of it.
The rental pay me back the investment.
I have a personal bank account, visa for my family etc.

With RAK FZE it was too trouble to maintain it especially paper work>
With RAK ICC (OFFSHORE) and investment there I feel more safe.

Reactions: cckuhqilfownnfctux
Forgot to add
AUDIT ACCOUNT & SUBMIT is compulsory for 90% of RAK FZE company and it may cost you another 5/20.000 AED per year based on number of documents. Below certain turnover, it's by number of transaction/registration in account, above is by %.

So every year mostly you have to :
- VAT report (quarterly) free of charge done by you / AED 100/500 done by others for you
- AUDIT account (5.000/20.000 AED year)
- Renewal fees Flexi Packaged (cheapest) from 10.000 to 30.000 AED year
Every 3 years :
- VISA investor (need to vist country once every 2 years) renewal AED 4/5.000 + hassle to fly there and stay one week (hotel/food)

Sum it up and checked whether this is worth it in your case

For your reference about ESR in UAE including RAK FZE

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 11.14.05.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 11.14.05.png
    270.9 KB · Views: 93
That’s why you don’t use a RAK company these days. There are other emirates with lower fees and less requirements (no audit etc.).
LOL! @the MXP story.

Can you say something about the area your condo is in? How did you find the agent?
I am thinking about actually moving to Dubai, but I’d also like to rent it out when I’m traveling.

@Brokenby2703 sounds super complicated or you must have a terrible advisors. Creative City Fujairah Freezone there is no audit requirement. You do the medical and Emirates ID in Dubai. You can have PO Box in Dubai, you can either rent it yourself, or it is provided within the package by Creative City Fujairah (Dubai PO BOX) or you can use a 3rd party company for this purpose e.g. firstpostbox.com . You submit your passports in Creative City Dubai office and collect them with visa stamped from the same place. Visa is for 3 years, not 2. Paying AED 5000 every 3 years is not a bit deal, that's less than AED 140 per month.

There is literally no point to go to Fujairah. The only reason you may need to go to Fujairah is when you want to convert your driving license.
Also never got ESR notifications or guidelines from Creative City.

@Brokenby2703 I was more into using the freelance route ( https://gofreelance.ae/freelance-activities.html ), which should be cheaper, although I still don't understand if I need to own a property or rent a property to be considered resident in the UAE or if having the emirates ID and the Residency visa is enough, in case a property is needed I would probably do as you did, buy and rent.
I don't have a second passport but I have absolutely no ties with Italy ( no house, no wife, no kids, no car ) and I've been resident outside Italy since 2013, so I understand the risk, but should be on the safe side.

Don’t get a second passport if you have a passport from Italy, which is a good passport. Don’t risk them taking it away. You could probably even move back to Italy now and pay almost no taxes thanks to the “growth decree” (decreto crescita).

I’m prettt sure you will need a rent agreement or similar to get the Emirates ID and residency in the UAE. You must live somewhere. But residency is not the same thing as tax residency. If you live in Italy or Spain for 200 days per year, then getting “residency” from the UAE means nothing.

That’s pretty amazing! Do you know if the UAE driver’s license is internationally recognized? Can they issue an international driver’s license?
Yes, UAE driving license (valid 10 years) being both in arabic and english is internationally recognized. For example in Europe it is accepted by car rental companies etc. However there could be some countries which do not support it, for this purpose you can obtain UAE international driving license - which looks like a passport and is valid for 1 year.

I’m prettt sure you will need a rent agreement or similar to get the Emirates ID and residency in the UAE. You must live somewhere. But residency is not the same thing as tax residency. If you live in Italy or Spain for 200 days per year, then getting “residency” from the UAE means nothing.
It means that you are considered resident for CRS purposes ( the ministry of finance has a PDF saying that to be considered resident you need an Emirates ID and a Residency Visa ). If there is no CRS reporting for the money you make in the UAE, that solves a lot of problems. I could still have some revenue in Spain and pay tax on those, but keep the majority in the UAE.

Sure you could do that, but it would still be a crime.

By the way, I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to real estate in the UAE. My friend who lives there told me that the prices have only been declining. The only reason for people keep buying is that they don't ask where the money comes from.
As an investment, it seems risky. Especially considering that there is no rule of law in the UAE and you can get into trouble for having debt there which you can't pay.

I have two holiday house which I use for renting and self funding.
One is in Marina DUBAI under EMAAR
One is in Orlando, FL as a lot of Mexican and Brazilian like to go there in house rather then hotel.
The Orlando is at 95% paid so eventually I will move the US income to cover the DUBAI flat.
It was a stupid investment at begin... but they you realize that AirB&B, Holiday rental etc.... is a very good investment....
I don-t plan to sell them out so even if price decline.... I don't care.
I didnt buy to resell them....
But yes I agree with you... flat in Dubai is declining....

Latest Threads