Our valued sponsor

Confusion about USA LLC and Taxation

troubled soul

Pro Member
Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
To keep your LLC tax free you need to always maintain the following conditions:

❖ You are not a US citizen
❖ You are not a US permanent resident (i.e. “green card holder”)
❖ You did not reside in the US for over 120 days per year during the last 3 years (do not pass the “substantial presence test.”).
❖ You do not hire any "dependent agent", any employees, or companies that work exclusively for you and does something substantial to further your business in the US.
❖ Do not operate in the US through “permanent establishment” if you want to benefit from a tax treaty.
❖ Do not have any Fixed or Determinable, Annual or Periodical (FDAP) income from the US such as dividends, interest, wages, rent, salary, premiums, annuities, remunerations, alimony, lottery winnings, lottery or slot machine winnings, and other FDAP profits or gains.

I am confuse regarding last clause......
Now My question If someone own USA LLC and buy USA ETF using person name....Do this consider as a FDAP income and USA LLC subjected to tax ?

Thanks

❖ You did not reside in the US for over 120 days per year during the last 3 years (do not pass the “substantial presence test.”).
❖ You do not hire any "dependent agent", any employees, or companies that work exclusively for you and does something substantial to further your business in the US.
❖ Do not operate in the US through “permanent establishment” if you want to benefit from a tax treaty.
❖ Do not have any Fixed or Determinable, Annual or Periodical (FDAP) income from the US such as dividends, interest, wages, rent, salary, premiums, annuities, remunerations, alimony, lottery winnings, lottery or slot machine winnings, and other FDAP profits or gains.

Now My question If someone own USA LLC and buy USA ETF using person name....Do this consider as a FDAP income and USA LLC subjected to tax ?

Thanks
I believe the dividends have a withholding tax, usually done automatically by the broker. Capital gains not.

Reactions: troubled soul
I believe the dividends have a withholding tax, usually done automatically by the broker. Capital gains not.
yeah, been told thats fine, since the wht is the same where you are residing. So thats paid. While cap gains are by no means predictable.
You can also have us clients for example for consulting services performed from abroad. Where its tricky is if you ship from within us (ecom), but idk this since its not my field.

Reactions: troubled soul

Thanks
foreigners are only subject to US tax if they are “engaged in a trade or business in the United States

Latest Threads