Our valued sponsor

"Correspondent" bank charges sending EUR to HSBC Expat

blubb

Feb 19, 2023
Malta
Visit site
Hi guys,

has anyone managed to find a way to send EUR to HSBC expat without incurring correspondent bank charges? I asked Wise support and even though they explicitly told me no correspondent bank would be involved, I still ended up paying EUR 32.50 – in correspondent bank fees.

HSBC Expat also suspiciously dodges the question whether or not this "correspondent" bank levying the fees happens to be HSBC UK – even when directly asked...

HSBC expat is not SEPA-compliant, so it is expensive for € incoming and outgoing money. SEPA is only possible with BARCLAYS, SEPA direct debit as well.

All banks in the Channel Islands (except BARCLAYS) there is no SEPA! So is BARCLAYS the best!

A slight comment here. If you use the app, not the website , you can transfer from HSBC expat to SEPA EU bank account free of charge. It usually same day as well. As soon as you use the website they tack on their 25 -35 euro fee…

Reactions: Spinat
A slight comment here. If you use the app, not the website , you can transfer from HSBC expat to SEPA EU bank account free of charge. It usually same day as well. As soon as you use the website they tack on their 25 -35 euro fee…
That's though the Global Money account, right? I read about that, but I was transferring funds in rather than out. Did you find a way to use Global Money for incoming SEPA transfers?

I was not aware of it, thank you for the hint.

Who is the sender of the SEPA transfer? Your name or HSBC?
Will the money be sent from your personal IBAN or a pooled one?

Who is the sender of the SEPA transfer? Your name or HSBC?
Will the money be sent from your personal IBAN or a pooled one?
I am the sender (personal premier account) to an individual account not in my name , doesn’t really matter but generally has been in Germany , Malta , and Cyprus. Again no fees for outgoing, also usually same day arrival.

Reactions: Marie Manila
HSBC Expat is domiciled in Jersey and is not a SEPA participant, so it can only receive EUR via SWIFT. HSBC in many other countries is a SEPA participant.

It wouldn't surprise me if HSBC is its own correspondent (EU to Jersey) and making money twice per transaction.
Actually surprised they are not a SEPA Participant.

Aside from that SEPA [EURO] where is that cleared these days? -> NYC or still the CB of the EU?

Reactions: blubb