Our valued sponsor

Costa Rica & Spain

Hello folks,

I'm a former US citizen with a Costa Rican citizenship living in Spain, but since I didn't live for more than 180 days of 2022, I'm not subject to taxes here, but for 2023, I will become subject to them.
I have a salary from a Spanish company here, but I'm getting some additional income in Costa Rica, it's not much (~5k USD / month) and it's not registered to anything, just falls into the bank every month. Should I pay taxes for that here in Spain? Would they be aware of that money falling into my bank?

Reactions: I'mRobot
I'm not subject to taxes here, but for 2023, I will become subject to them.
I know it's not what you're asking about but don't do it... in most situations and with little bit of caution it's almost impossible to prove for them how much time you spent in Spain, especially if you're under the radar so far

I'm a former US citizen with a Costa Rican citizenship living in Spain, but since I didn't live for more than 180 days of 2022, I'm not subject to taxes here, but for 2023, I will become subject to them.
I have a salary from a Spanish company here, but I'm getting some additional income in Costa Rica, it's not much (~5k USD / month) and it's not registered to anything, just falls into the bank every month. Should I pay taxes for that here in Spain? Would they be aware of that money falling into my bank?
It sounds like you are tax resident in Spain and are required to declare your worldwide income, which will then become part of your taxable income.

If so, your only options are to pay up or to risk a couple of years in prison betting on the Spanish tax authority never finding out and coming after you.

What is it with spain, people? What a disaster that place is from a tax perspective. Worse country ever after the USA, change my mind.
I've noticed the trend too. Must be the sun and sangria that make people think 1990/2000s tax evasion is going to work in 2020s Spain.

It sounds like you are tax resident in Spain and are required to declare your worldwide income, which will then become part of your taxable income.

If so, your only options are to pay up or to risk a couple of years in prison betting on the Spanish tax authority never finding out and coming after you.

I've noticed the trend too. Must be the sun and sangria that make people think 1990/2000s tax evasion is going to work in 2020s Spain.
The constant party and holiday feeling and laid back vibes as well as overall great atmosphere can really catch up to ones head... ;)

Reactions: I'mRobot
What is it with spain, people? What a disaster that place is from a tax perspective. Worse country ever after the USA, change my mind.

Hacienda is sloppy at best so dodging them is not super complicated.

Also food and weather is great.

Would they be aware of that money falling into my bank?

You are supposed to do it, yes.
But also refer to my prior message.

Im assuming the bank acc is in CR tho

The constant party and holiday feeling and laid back vibes as well as overall great atmosphere can really catch up to ones head... ;)
You better find a different place and only come there for the Sun, Party and what else you think is good in Spain!

Reactions: JackAlabama
They might be "sloppy" as per other countries' standards, but if they do grab on, they are like snapping turtles. I would be confident to say it's the most aggressive tax office in the planet, even more than the IRS. I'd love someone to change my mind on that.

True, the whole game rules are to not bring attention to yourself or else you will be royally fucked.

Coming back to topic, if you opened that CR acc on your CR passport/tarjeta de identidad then its not CRS reportable to Spain.