Our valued sponsor

Cyprus - geopolitical risk

crsp

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
Looking into moving to Cyprus, setting up company, etc... I'll be taking wife and young (pre-school) daughter so, although I could just try it out for a year or 2 then move on, I'm interested in settling there for some time - like for my daughters schooling years.

I'm concerned about current and future geo-political risk in Cyprus and surrounding area. Opinions anyone?

I think the risk is there, but impossible to quantify. Perhaps EU and US will impose sanctions to Turkey and this will make Erdogan go away from the landscape, or perhaps he'll manage to stick to the saddle, and will retaliate, cyprus being the easiest target, as turkey has already its legs in there.
Of course you can expect allies to help, but regardless, it won't be a Sweden.

Thanks for replies...

Yes, I agree there's geopolitical risk but I'm finding it hard to quantify. (And EC regulations risk - though that's a separate issue.) Would rather not be jumping countries during daughter's education.

EDIT - A quick search on today's news articles isn't reassuring...

Last edited:
I am Greek and I travel between US, Greece and Cyprus quite often. I would no be concerned about living in Cyrus as not only is part of EU and NATO, it also has strong ally ties to Israel with gas and oil, with extensive collaboration on military, cultural and political matters. The prospect of a joint use of oil and gas fields off Cyprus, as well as EuroAsia Interconnector, now the world's longest subsea electric power cable have also brought the two countries closer together. The second pipeline is one linking Israel and Cyprus' gas fields to Greece ... Also keep in mind Cyprus has close ties to the EU, as France has stepped in to assert its interests to protect Cyprus, as the formation of a French-Greek military alliance against Turkey indicate the extent to which oil and gas have become the source of contention. US is keen to nurture security ties between Cyprus and key US ally Israel, as well as Greece. In August 2020, The United States will conduct military training with the Republic of Cyprus for the first time, drawing criticism from its NATO ally, Turkey. So, if you read between the lies, you can clearly see Cyprus will be a safe place to live in the foreseeable future. Not to worry...

I am Greek and I travel between US, Greece and Cyprus quite often. I would no be concerned about living in Cyrus as not only is part of EU and NATO, it also has strong ally ties to Israel with gas and oil, with extensive collaboration on military, cultural and political matters. The prospect of a joint use of oil and gas fields off Cyprus, as well as EuroAsia Interconnector, now the world's longest subsea electric power cable have also brought the two countries closer together. The second pipeline is one linking Israel and Cyprus' gas fields to Greece ... Also keep in mind Cyprus has close ties to the EU, as France has stepped in to assert its interests to protect Cyprus, as the formation of a French-Greek military alliance against Turkey indicate the extent to which oil and gas have become the source of contention. US is keen to nurture security ties between Cyprus and key US ally Israel, as well as Greece. In August 2020, The United States will conduct military training with the Republic of Cyprus for the first time, drawing criticism from its NATO ally, Turkey. So, if you read between the lies, you can clearly see Cyprus will be a safe place to live in the foreseeable future. Not to worry...
Everything in this post is spot on, except for the NATO part. Cyprus is not a NATO member in any capacity (not even a part of the Partnership For Peace thing).

Well,remember that Turkey and all EU members are also a member of NATO which technically means they can not attack each other.
BUT WHO KNOWS ? What if ?
Those are the questions which will wake up you later night when you are asleep in your villa in Cyprus ? :D
Most countries in the world have similar geopolitical risk. You cant sleep well in any country except for, maybe, Switzerland

Most countries in the world have similar geopolitical risk. You cant sleep well in any country except for, maybe, Switzerland

Totally agree with it.
Instead of live with paranoia about theoretical risk and listen to some nationalist who tried to fear you, better to select adequately safe country (which Cyprus is definitely is) and enjoying life.

It was a joke certainly.
Even you can live safely in Syria and Iraq(in safe parts of the country).
So you should have nothing to be concerned in Cyprus.
Dont rely on the TV news you are watching everyday.

That happened more or less 50 years ago.. World is very different today
Well,actually that happened in 1974 and Turkey was much more weaker at that time.Despite all the warnings from UK,USA,Greece and many other EU nations,Turkey invaded Cyprus.
So thinking the current political and military power of Turkey nowadays,invading the other islands in aegean is not far from reality BUT even that happens i dont think any local people would be affected from this.
So i dont see any risks in living Greece,Turkey or Cyprus geopolitically.

Latest Threads