Our valued sponsor

Data center as a Investment

troubled soul

Pro Member
Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
Data center becoming is very IMP for modern age.
Has anyone into Data center business?
Is it possible to start small scale Data center ?
Data center as a real estate investment any opportunity available.
What are your experience with it ?

If you want to star your own data center ...What is the best Business model ?
Which client market is best for this ?

has anybody started data center ?

Thanks

Why would you want to start a data center? I believe you mean something similar to a hosting center, with servers, underground server rooms a project that will cost a few millions to be something useful right?

Thanks
Why are you going into new business without experience at all. You will be taken advantage off.
You have money and want to invest it, 2 choices
Hight risk, high return: Btc
Low risk sleep well , rich forever: etf like Voo, expense only : 0.03%.
It is not easy to run a business. Why run a business if you can invest in the whole economy without any work
Just sleep and travel and have fun. 10% return per year

I say OP what you are into is too complicated. I know another well known member of this forum that sold his datacenter last year I believe. Why? because it was a bad investment.

You need real capital for anything at commercial scale. You then need to consider fail-over data center etc etc for any big customer to take it seriously so you need at least two.

Unless you got real capital you can just lease rack space and sub lease it and become the WeWork of rack space...lol.

P.S Energy costs for a data center alone will cripple you unless you have a cheap energy source :confused:.

P.S Energy costs for a data center alone will cripple you unless you have a cheap energy source :confused:.
Yes I found the cheap energy source ....that's why I starting to research online about data center business...Thimphu TechPark , Bhutan

Rate applicable to tenants at IT Park is INR 3.53 per unit (KWh)
Bhutan has great source of hydropower....Capacity to reach 20k MW....All are renewable .....
Thimphu TechPark is Kind of free zone of Bhutan. They desperately looking for FDI.. IT sector, hospitality,5 star hotel, 100% ownership allowed......... thinking seriously about this

Reactions: dnb and JohnLocke
Yes I found the cheap energy source ....that's why I starting to research online about data center business...Thimphu TechPark , Bhutan

Bhutan has great source of hydropower....Capacity to reach 20k MW....All are renewable .....
Thimphu TechPark is Kind of free zone of Bhutan. They desperately looking for FDI.. IT sector, hospitality,5 star hotel, 100% ownership allowed......... thinking seriously about this
Thimphu TechPark: I have checked pictures of how it looks like
Stay away, looks like undeveloped country. That techpark look nothing like tech to me. Looks like 3 star hotel in a mountain. Why would you leave first world country and go to undeveloped country. I doubt you will have electricity issues in mountain. This not Switzerland to expect top notch quality in desert. Wake up please

Reactions: troubled soul

I also looked to open data center few years back as I am in the same industry. The problem is its very expensive to open data center and you need atleast few millions. Apart from cost, its highly technical business, not everyone can open it and manage it. Now the Bhutan part, you cannot open where electricity is cheap as you need latency i.e where internet users are there, for example US client will need server inside USA, Indian clients will prefer data center either in India, Dubai or Singapore.

I have a data centre in my garage that was from a high end AI processing system pre-covid, sitting there gathering dust if someone wants to make use of it and put it to work, so i can empty my garage lol.

Thanks

If you have access to cheap electricity why not consider crypto mining? Or just buy Nvidia stock. It's like investing in crypto mining, but on the side :)
That was also the first thing that came to my mind when I read through the thread about all the troubles with the data center project.

Reactions: Marshal
Electricity is one big piece of the puzzle but it's all for nothing if you don't have good interconnectivity. Before you spend millions building a data center in Bhutan compare these two:

Both are similar in area, both are landlocked, both are mountainous.

Your state of the art Bhutan data center is going to remind people of the dial-up modem era in terms of bandwidth speed and latency, unless the users are in Bhutan and India.

To have any chance of decent connectivity (speed, latency, stability), you'll need to find multiple routes down to Singapore. India is OK but Singapore is where you want to be.

You're only about 5 years too late...

Thanks
Are you interested in it for the expectation of high returns or because you have a passion for running data centers?

where is your edge? the first question one should always ask the first
if it's access to super cheap energy then secure for your self via long-term contract and sell it to pros (most likely miners)
if you have local contacts make it as easy as possible for anyone coming to use your energy
if none of this applies forget it... idea itself has no value, edge counts, (wasted) time is priceless

Latest Threads