Our valued sponsor

Question DeGiro Acct being closed lack of Steuernummer - where to move EU ETFs?

Oakgrove

Jan 18, 2021
Visit site
Newbie here, thanks for bearing with me.

Background: Since DeGiro does not accept US citizens, managed to open an acct 2 yrs ago with a second passport (S.E. Asia). Snagged a few EU-based ETFs, doing pretty well.

Fast forward to 2 months ago, got an email from them saying 'We don't serve your country, please close out your position and get out, or provide a Steuernummer' (since I used my German address). Tried to provide my S.E. Asian Tax ID (which I thought would make them happy, but guess not).

Ignored the notice and found out last week my login no longer works. 'Forgot Password' failed to recognize my email address. Account seems to be frozen (I haven't tried emailing them yet).

Questions:

1. Should I just go get a Steuernummer (even if I don't live in Germany and have no German ties other than a German bank acct, which is tied to my DeGiro/Flatex)? Is it relatively easy to get (remotely)?

2. If no go with #1, where should I transfer these EU ETFs (without selling/closing out my position)? My US citizenship gets me diddly squat with most EU brokerages (and haven't found one that will accept my second passport). Don't really want to bring these $$ back Stateside.

Any tips/tricks would be super appreciated!