Our valued sponsor

Do banks Report to home country even if non resident?

needhelp

Oct 27, 2020
Visit site
I am a resident of country A, and a citizen of country B.

Will the bank in Country A report my bank account to country B even if the bank thinks I am still a resident of country A and not country B?

The only entity that knows that I am now a resident of country B is the government/embassy of my home country and not any bank knows this.
Would the tax department in my home country automatically share this data with my current residency country even if my bank doesn't know this?
or is it just the bank that reports CRS to other countries?

I am a resident of country A, and a citizen of country B.

Will the bank in Country A report my bank account to country B even if the bank thinks I am still a resident of country A and not country B?

The only entity that knows that I am now a resident of country B is the government/embassy of my home country and not any bank knows this.
Would the tax department in my home country automatically share this data with my current residency country even if my bank doesn't know this?
or is it just the bank that reports CRS to other countries?
In theory. no. Only report to your resident country which is on file with the bank.

In real life: You cannot be 100% sure and it depends how much spying the bank does on you and how deep the local gov concerned is run by communists who believe in this data sharing crap being of any value or are just afraid. I heard rumors of places which signed up but do not actually relay the info as they do not fear consequences.

Also the banks have indica for reporting you to any place they deem ok. So it really depends where you are from and what country it is.