Our valued sponsor

Do I understand that US financial institutions DO NOT report non-us person deposits in them?

If EU citizen keeps his funds / stocks in Coinbase or American stock broker like Interactive brokers will USA report this at end of year to citizens governing authority or will they ONLY do this if requested?

You can't open an IB US account as an European resident. As per regulation you have to have your account at an EU subsidiary, whether in Luxembourg, Ireland or Hungary.

Reactions: Martin Everson
This thread started to informed about the IRS reporting foreigners who have an account in the US, and well explained in FATCA and even better explained by Martin, do we know now in 2023 if anything has changed?
Is the IRS only automatically reporting foreign account holders that have generated more than $10 on interest on their US account?

Any other recent changes? Are dividends & capital gains still up to the account holder to report to the tax authorities back home?

Also, on this thread it was mentioned that brokers such as IBKR and Charles Schwab can only open accounts for Europeans through their UK subsidiaries, which is absolutely true.
Does anyone know where will IBKR and Schwab open an account for someone living in Mexico or in Panama? Do they open the brokerage account in the US, or did I read that Schwab international is based in the Bahamas? Anyone knows, Martin perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Martin Everson
Does anyone know where will IBKR and Schwab open an account for someone living in Mexico or in Panama? Do they open the brokerage account in the US, or did I read that Schwab international is based in the Bahamas? Anyone knows, Martin perhaps?

No idea :confused:. IBKR alone has so many different entities globally I don't want to assume it would be US so best to ask them directly about both.

Reactions: Radko
I know this is an old post but I have a more technical question. I've asked my US brokerage firm if they share anything with foreign tax authorities and they've said no. They only share info with the IRS. So the only way my home country(a 3rd world shithole) can know about my account is through the IRS.

But, I have filled a form while opening my account and declared that I'm a "non-resident alien" to the IRS. So I only pay witholding tax for dividends and certain types of interest. Capital gains of non-resident aliens aren't taxed in US. I don't even need to fill the form required for that an inform the IRS. I've never had any dividend payments made to me, I mostly trade options.

So how can my resident country can know about this and make me pay capital gains taxes? IRS doesn't know it either as I've stated why.

Hi, you wrote this information a few years ago, and I'm wondering if you have any idea as to what kind of dividends is the IRS applying a withholding rate?
Is it only in some specific type of dividends or is it on all dividends regardless of how those dividends were generated?

I know is a bit of a complex question.

Latest Threads