dual citizenship and name

void

Trusted Member
Business Angel
Let's assume a person is a citizen of two countries (has two passports) - one original issued by country allowing dual citizenship and the other one issued by another (compatible) country (e.g. from CBI program).
Can this person legally change its name in one of the countries and keep the name in the other one (or even change the name in both countries)?
I don't see any reason why not since name is probably just a (common) legal construction of each jurisdiction. Not mentioning the fact that the original country doesn't need to know (is not necessarily told by anyone) that a person got another citizenship.
Could you please share your experience and knowledge regarding this topic?

OTR365

Building Trust
Entrepreneur
Happens all the time. For example, a Brazilian woman moves to the U.K., marries there and gets a UK passport. Now her family name in Brazilian passport is "Fonseca-Santos" and in the U.K. passport, "Smith". She acquired a 2nd identity, unintentionally. There is a correct procedure for marrying abroad, but people often find out about it afterwards and correcting it may involve lots of bureaucracy. If she decides not to correct it, Brazil will renew the "Fonseca-Santos" passport without any problems. Likewise, the UK will renew the "Smith" passport.

While the above is a special case, it is not uncommon. The same person can hold two different names in two jurisdictions. Whether you or me can do this, depends mainly if the countries involved make changing names easy or difficult.

It becomes even more interesting if you think about possibilities with bank accounts, companies etc.

void

Trusted Member
Business Angel
Thanks for your insights.
You more or less see it the way that you can act like a totally independent individual in every way in the eyes of each jurisdiction, right?
There are really interesting implications indeed - for instance your original/home country cannot technically know about your properties and bank accounts held using your other passport (the better if the name is different). Well you're probably supposed to share this information filling the CRS forms if you're a tax resident elsewhere but in general it's a really good level of protection I guess.
Wonder why people don't use it that much (or maybe they do, we just don't know) because if you have something serious to protect you can often afford to get another passport.

So basically one can visit his home country using the other passport with another name and nobody knows that you're back and then gone again? Interesting...

OTR365

Building Trust
Entrepreneur
So basically one can visit his home country using the other passport with another name and nobody knows that you're back and then gone again? Interesting...
No, because most Western passports are biometric. Double NO if one of the countries is an advanced surveillance society like the United States or the U.K.

In addition to biometric passports, some countries have cameras at the border that scan people for their unique facial features (distance between eyes, mouth etc.). Each face is compared to a database to find matches. The main purpose is to single out wanted criminals and those traveling with another/fake identity. My country of birth (North Europe) is planning to use a system like that in the near future, and certainly some countries already have systems like that.

CRS/AEOI/UBO weakens privacy, and there are no easy workarounds. If I:
1. got a new passport with a different name in a less sophisticated banana republic
2. did not report this to my home country
3. never showed my banana republic passport in my home country

Then I might be able to open bank accounts in some 3rd countries and they would only CRS-report to the banana republic. But this only for as long as I managed to maintain a good passport usage hygiene. Countries collect more and more biometric information. It is only a question of time when e.g. in the EU they start cross-checking their databases.

If I absolutely wanted to visit my home country (in Schengen area) with a banana republic passport, I would get a flight that lands in the neighboring Schengen country and cross the border by car, train etc. In this way I would not need to show my banana passport to my home country's custom officials.

JimBeam

I have pretty much this situation. Have two passports with (slightly) different names. No major issues. Just be careful when buying tickets or leaving/entering the country you live in.

void

Trusted Member
Business Angel
Just be careful when buying tickets or leaving/entering the country you live in.
can you be more specific please, what should be taken into account?

when traveling to a "neutral" country that can be entered by either of your passports you simply toss a coin to decide which passport will you use that day? :) maybe a silly question but I'd really like to understand how it practically works... seem like one can get (relatively cheap) a whole new "identity" this way

void

Trusted Member
Business Angel
also it feels a bit weird passing the gate showing one passport and having the other one in the bag... probably nothing wrong about it but still looks like a movie scene

JimBeam

can you be more specific please, what should be taken into account?

when traveling to a "neutral" country that can be entered by either of your passports you simply toss a coin to decide which passport will you use that day? :) maybe a silly question but I'd really like to understand how it practically works... seem like one can get (relatively cheap) a whole new "identity" this way
My first passport is of non-EU country (where I was born). I have one more from EU country. So when entering and exiting my non-EU country I always use my non-EU passport. For all the travel within EU or rest of the world I use the EU passport since I can enter countries easily etc. So I buy plane tickets on that name and I carry two passports all the time... Just have to be careful not to mix them. But so far had zero problems.

also it feels a bit weird passing the gate showing one passport and having the other one in the bag... probably nothing wrong about it but still looks like a movie scene
That's not a problem I guess. My country allows dual-citizenships. There are some countries that don't allow this so than it may be a problem.