Our valued sponsor

Dubai 90 Days No Longer Possible (Must Be 180 Days!)

I don’t see it that way. In my particular case, I thought I want to travel a lot. I want to have a low tax place (Dubai with 90 days sounded great) and have some security that my home country will not annoyed me (trc). My plan was to spend 90 days in uae, 2 month in Thailand, 2 months in Brazil, 2 driving around Europe and the rest in my home country.

However, without trc I feel unprotected with my home country as it is in Europe and they are the biggest assholes ever. I broke ties with them but you never know…
TRC is not a holy grail that will protect you, but if you psychologically feel protected with it, you can chase for it.

It definitely could bring some added value as tax residence proof, but you will need to provide your rental contract and some proof you actually live in UAE if authorities come after you.

Best is to break completely ties, have no assets in your home country, no residence you can live at and just go there on vacation 2 months a year. You can travel around in EU, just keep all proof of your stays outside your home country as there are no border stamps.

So even without a TRC you can claim proof of your residence as long as you can proof you live there most of the time and stay away as much as possible from your home country.

TRC is not a holy grail that will protect you, but if you psychologically feel protected with it, you can chase for it.

It definitely could bring some added value as tax residence proof, but you will need to provide your rental contract and some proof you actually live in UAE if authorities come after you.

Best is to break completely ties, have no assets in your home country, no residence you can live at and just go there on vacation 2 months a year. You can travel around in EU, just keep all proof of your stays outside your home country as there are no border stamps.

So even without a TRC you can claim proof of your residence as long as you can proof you live there most of the time and stay away as much as possible from your home country.
This SHOULD be true. However, for many tax agencies this is not the standard process. The process goes like this:

You do not live here? So where do you live? Oh, you live in this country? Give us the TRC. And then they decide accordingly and you can only complain by taking them to the court. Most of the times the "ties" are not even questioned. They claim you need to be living and paying taxes somewhere (except for UK maybe).

Keep in mind a DTA can also be a LIMITATION. Because the agreement in itself have some clear boundaries to decide where the person should pay taxes. So a DTA can be a limitation in that sense that it now requires you to prove that you are a tax resident in the other country, regardless of how strong the ties are. Here, tax residence is central.

I don’t see it that way. In my particular case, I thought I want to travel a lot. I want to have a low tax place (Dubai with 90 days sounded great) and have some security that my home country will not annoyed me (trc). My plan was to spend 90 days in uae, 2 month in Thailand, 2 months in Brazil, 2 driving around Europe and the rest in my home country.

However, without trc I feel unprotected with my home country as it is in Europe and they are the biggest assholes ever. I broke ties with them but you never know…
Ok, in this situation I would not have Dubai/UAE very high on my list of countries to tell tax authorities that I live in. It's a tax haven so it's automatically treated with suspicion. And Spain and Italy even have special rules against tax havens, making it extra difficult to change tax residency to one. Read here for Italy for example (point 6): Residenza fiscale all'estero - ITAXA Blog

Instead Id chose a country like Paraguay which has very low taxes but isnt treated as a tax haven, and it is also easy to get residence in. Also a Sub-Saharan African country is perfect, nobody expects one to go there for tax reasons, but they have de facto low taxes (including typically no such thing as a personal tax return), and authorities there dont cooperate with foreign tax agencies (no CRS, no nothing), and they dont even answer to emails usually. Sometimes it's easy to get residency (with or without bribes), sometimes it's not, depends on the country.

Reactions: Mike Forman
This SHOULD be true. However, for many tax agencies this is not the standard process. The process goes like this:

You do not live here? So where do you live? Oh, you live in this country? Give us the TRC. And then they decide accordingly and you can only complain by taking them to the court. Most of the times the "ties" are not even questioned. They claim you need to be living and paying taxes somewhere (except for UK maybe).

Keep in mind a DTA can also be a LIMITATION. Because the agreement in itself have some clear boundaries to decide where the person should pay taxes. So a DTA can be a limitation in that sense that it now requires you to prove that you are a tax resident in the other country, regardless of how strong the ties are. Here, tax residence is central.
I totally agree. TRC is not an only document you will need, but if you cannot produce TRC it can be very big red flag. They will instantly think you are not tax resident in the country you say you are resident.
The reality is you need TRC and all other documents like utility bills, rent agreements, etc etc

It will not be sufficient just to "claim". This simple document as TRC can help a lot.

Latest Threads