Our valued sponsor

Dubai vs Switzerland for Third world country Rich immigrant ?

Geneva with a personal assistant for taking care of bureaucracy and a metal card for wife, otherwise she will melt the plastic one smi(&%
Geneva has pretty much the highest taxes in Switzerland in most cases, unless you are ultra rich and can negotiate (10M+ in wealth, mostly international business).

To get back to the OP's question: I would go for Switzerland, specifically Central Switzerland (Zug / Schwyz, Nidwalden, Obwalden), even if this means paying a little more tax.
Dubai is hyped so much as tax-free, but this won't last forever and I think everyone knows that the UAE are not exactly a very freedom loving country. Freedom is not only about taxes and less accounting.

Dubai is hyped so much as tax-free, but this won't last forever and I think everyone knows that the UAE are not exactly a very freedom loving country. Freedom is not only about taxes and less accounting.
Dubai is tax-free and it will remain tax free for some time.

There is not CIT tax for FZ companies, no personal tax, no wealth tax, no inheritance tax, no real estate tax, no capital gains tax.
There's only 5% VAT on things you buy (probably the lowers rates in the world and a fraction of VAT in Europe where average is 21%).
Even if they introduce some of the taxes - rates will be competitive, it will be pretty lax as ppl are not used to these and there will be loop holes.

Switzerland is beautiful country (arguably one of the most beautiful in the world and certainly far more beautiful than UAE) but it's also utterly boring.
It also has all kinds of crazy rules that you'll feel there like in prison compared to Dubai (unless you're LGBT person - in that case Switzerland is better).
In most other cases, you'll feel more repressed in Switzerland than in UAE.

There is not CIT tax for FZ companies, no personal tax, no wealth tax, no inheritance tax, no real estate tax, no capital gains tax.
There's only 5% VAT on things you buy (probably the lowers rates in the world and a fraction of VAT in Europe where average is 21%).
Even if they introduce some of the taxes - rates will be competitive, it will be pretty lax as ppl are not used to these and there will be loop holes.

Switzerland is beautiful country (arguably one of the most beautiful in the world and certainly far more beautiful than UAE) but it's also utterly boring.
It also has all kinds of crazy rules that you'll feel there like in prison compared to Dubai (unless you're LGBT person - in that case Switzerland is better).
Can you ask for a VAT refund of that 5% of purchase made to non FZ companies?

I do not think anyone should support a regime that prosecutes LGBT people, journalists and so on under any circumstances whatsoever. Believe what you want, but I think it does not make much sense to demand economic freedom (no taxes) on the one hand and then turn a blind eye on all the other freedoms. You are either free or not and I don't see how you can be free in Dubai.

I do not think anyone should support a regime that prosecutes LGBT people, journalists and so on under any circumstances whatsoever. Believe what you want, but I think it does not make much sense to demand economic freedom (no taxes) on the one hand and then turn a blind eye on all the other freedoms. You are either free or not and I don't see how you can be free in Dubai.
Following your logic would you take freedoms a few steps further and advocate for 0+ age of consent or protect the rights of cannibals?

Last edited:
Curious, could you give some examples of such rules?
All kind of crazy small things that may seem normal to them but not to me.
For eg. in many buildings you can't take a shower in your own home after 22hours (as that might disturb neighbours!?!?).

ch.png

Old paper is collected every Tuesday but if you take it out in Monday evening, you'll get like 350 CHF fine.
A friend of mine actually paid this fine. The neighbour searched trough that old paper she took out in Monday after 20h to find her details in order to report her for this "offense".

So, there are a lot of these small "rules" that can be pretty annoying.

"Flushing toilets after 10pm not illegal in Switzerland, but...."
BUT ?!?!? There should't be any BUTTS there!!!
:D :D :D
But, in Switzerland there are...

(sorry for the offtopic)

Oof. I expected something like that, having heard stories from Germans I know. That is one reason I like less developed countries more. Less rules, and more chaos. Not without its drawbacks, but imo the amount of rules in society should be the minimum required for it to operate. Imposing more rules just removes degrees of freedom from the system, making it way too rigid

Reactions: Alonzo
"Flushing toilets after 10pm not illegal in Switzerland, but...."
BUT ?!?!? There should't be any BUTTS there!!!
:D :D :D
But, in Switzerland there are...
There is no "BUT". These rules are just what a civilized society should adhere to: "Do not disturb your neighbours between 10PM and 06AM" (details to be found in your individual rental contract).

Why not bring out paper a night before? Rain/snow makes it wet. It is difficult to efficiently transport and recycle wet paper.

There is no "BUT". These rules are just what a civilized society should adhere to: "Do not disturb your neighbours between 10PM and 06AM" (details to be found in your individual rental contract).

Why not bring out paper a night before? Rain/snow makes it wet. It is difficult to efficiently transport and recycle wet paper.
I would argue that they can sometimes go into extremes.

About the paper, it was inside the building in this case.

Reactions: elcontestador
Dubai can get boring quickly, it has no soul. Switzerland is boring by definition.

I think that an extremely rich person who doesn't care about cost of living or taxes has a lot of better options.

But if I had to choose between the options you've given, I'd go to Dubai, just because it's more convenient and its airport is better connected to the rest of the world.

1. My first choice would be Monaco. Hands down (if it stays this way and doesn't go woke). You can travel around and stay in hotels.
  2. Next would be Switzerland, but a detached home. Also without the wokeness, although this may become a challenge in Switzerland. Negotiating a forfait, of course. Not living in apartments. Something like this: https://www.jamesedition.com/real_estate/gornate-olona-italy/historic-castle-12401740
  3. Singapore. Sentosa Cove
That's if I was ready to retire, which I am NOT! Right now, I have to be in the world's manufacturing hub.

Reactions: troubled soul
If someone from third world country and fed up of his country corruption and unsafe environment...
What will be the best choice for him to move ? Dubai or Switzerland ?
Do not care about tax.....or cost of living ...Peaceful life without any headache...
What is your opinion ?
What's the first country (where you are currently?)

Latest Threads