Our valued sponsor

Easiest country to apply for a trademark?

enceladus

BANNED MEMBER
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
So, I have a domain name registered 6 years ago, and now it became a popular term.

An American lawyer recently filled a USPTO trademark for that name, and threatened to sue me if I refused to sell him at his (ridiculous) price.

I'm aware he'd lose the case as the domain registration is much older than the TM, thus there was no bad faith in the registration. However, any future development on the domain could be subject to a legal action from the TM holder.

I thought of filling for a TM for the same term in another country, thus protecting my domain of future claims, but I'm afraid he'd find it out and oppose? Where is the application process cheap and fast?

If the registration date is before the filing date, there is no change he will win a arbitration case. (make sure you have some (personal) content on the site, so it is in use and you have a reason for wanting the domain).

All bets are off if the company that filled the trademark introduced the term 6 years ago or is in any way related to the term prior to you registring the domain. If the company was incorporated -after- you registered the domain, you would be safe.

Yes I know I am safe - for now - because the domain is 6 years old and he filled the TM last month. However, he's threatening to sue the new domain owner if I ever sell it and the new owner creates a website. So, I thought of registering a TM for the same name in another jurisdiction, and sell the domain+trademark as a bundle. Sounds like a plan? Where would you register it?

Latest Threads