Our valued sponsor

Expat = immigrant.

most of them are fake nomads. Nobody knows where they come from, or even if they have real identities. Ask @Golden Fleece how to define them properly.
They are most properly defined colloquially as discrete and insular minorities, i.e., a group which possesses immutable or highly visible traits. This would include Jews, Gypsies, and other peoples.

I recall visiting Trakai Castle in Lithuania, a nation that is fairly homogenous (with Russian transplants from the Soviet days). Yet, there is a small community that lives near that castle, called the Karaites. The Karaites are ethnic Karaims, a peculiar Turkic community with its own religion. They were brought to Trakai in the 14th and 15th century by Lithuanian King Vytautas to protect the castle -- and only about 65 of them still remain in the town. Yet, Trakai is their heartland to this day and they continue to preserve their traditions there. I stopped at a Karaite restaurant and I sampled some of their food.

In sum, the Karaites are neither immigrants nor expats. They are native born non-ethnic Lithuanians, with a 500-year-old footprint in the country. So, like Jews, Gypsies, and some others, the Karaites are a discrete and insular minority. There may be a scientific name for such communities. It is an interesting topic.

The Hungarians are also an interesting people, with their own unique genetic profile, living amidst a sea of Germanic, Baltic, and Slavic people.

Anyone whose intention is to reside permanently in a new country is an immigrant. Your use of a logical fallacy regarding assimilation is idiotic. Most immigrants assimilate, but some do not. It is not required by the definition of "immigrant."

Once again, educate yourself regarding basic logic and reasoning:

View attachment 3930

If you cannot do that yourself, then consult a dictionary.
Mister Flea, if I was good at math I would be an underpaid university professor.

"Anyone whose intention is to reside permanently in a new country is an immigrant." - plenty of "expats" who are residing permanently in other countries, Thailand for example (there are no chicks with dicks Johnny, only dudes with tits. - Ted).

Once again, back to the title of this topic. Expat = immigrant. The word salad combo smash double permanently-temporarily should be dropped. Learn from real life, number of immigrants going from East to West is much higher than that of those going from West to East and all of the "expats" I've talked with had learned the language of the country they were in and some of them even married there and had weddings. There is absolutely no chance for an "expat" from let's say US to go to China and speak english there.

They are most properly defined colloquially as discrete and insular minorities, i.e., a group which possesses immutable or highly visible traits. This would include Jews, Gypsies, and other peoples.

I recall visiting Trakai Castle in Lithuania, a nation that is fairly homogenous (with Russian transplants from the Soviet days). Yet, there is a small community that lives near that castle, called the Karaites. The Karaites are ethnic Karaims, a peculiar Turkic community with its own religion. They were brought to Trakai in the 14th and 15th century by Lithuanian King Vytautas to protect the castle -- and only about 65 of them still remain in the town. Yet, Trakai is their heartland to this day and they continue to preserve their traditions there. I stopped at a Karaite restaurant and I sampled some of their food.

In sum, the Karaites are neither immigrants nor expats. They are native born non-ethnic Lithuanians, with a 500-year-old footprint in the country. So, like Jews, Gypsies, and some others, the Karaites are a discrete and insular minority. There may be a scientific name for such communities. It is an interesting topic.

The Hungarians are also an interesting people, with their own unique genetic profile, living amidst a sea of Germanic, Baltic, and Slavic people.
Nothing discrete about collecting cans and stepping on them with their feet so it takes less space in the home-made tricycle, sexually assaulting woman and looking to fight every white guy they come across. I've never seen an educated gypsy in my entire life and I've had a few encounters with such creatures. The right term would be parasites.

Last edited:
We don't tend to say "I've emigrated to X for 2 months" or "I've gone to Y on a 3 year business trip", so we have a word that's more than a vacation and less than immigration.

In original country > on vacation or business trip > expat > immigrant. The lines blur, but a lot of folk are in one of those categories.

all of the "expats" I've talked with had learned the language of the country they were in and some of them even married there and had weddings

If they permanently settled, then they have migrated. They're expats and immigrants. Some expats become immigrants, some don't. I didn't. It doesn't make sense to claim that you've migrated each time you live in a different country for a few years with no intention to settle.

A lot of West -> East non-immigrant expats go to work for a while (or take a career break). A lot of East -> West non-immigrant expats are students. Some of each settle permanently and become immigrants.

fake nomads

That also describes half of us on these forums. :)

very old posts ik but

Immigrant: Your country of origin turbo sucks and you have to move to a different country or else you life will continue to suck. You have to take a job from the local pool and usually use government services.

Expat: Your country can turbo suck or maybe not, but you have enough money to decide where to relocate based on a combination of ease of biz/taxes/weather/culture.
You will clearly spend at least 4x the amount of money a local will do to sustain you life + will probably hire people to do s**t for you.

Immigrants have to move. Expats decide to move.
This one is broke. This one is not.
This one takes from the system. This one does not

Latest Threads