Our valued sponsor

Georgian banks closing business accounts?

JonnyStekkino

Member Plus
Dec 10, 2021
Europe
Visit site
Hi there,

Recently I got a mail from TBC Bank saying that my company business account will be closed after only 3 bank transfers in (high amount, 30k$ each time)
Anyone had a similar experience and can share his experience with Georgian banks?

Which one is better to avoid this kind of stuff? Bank of Georgia, Terabank, Liberty Bank, etc..

First of all what line of business is your company in?

Is it crypto related and are you a non-resident? Perhaps they fallen out with non-resident business and are de-risking.

I would just accept their decision and move on. Thats why its important to keep multiple accounts for any company.

I would just try to reduce the risk of this happening again also with other major banks, otherwise I will be forced to use small shady banks or to move outside of Georgia.

By the way were you transacting in dollars? Dollars transactions are high risk for non-US banks - I have discussed this in other threads. It could explain them wanting to de-risk and close dollar clients down.

P.S Georgia has also been trying for years even when I lived there to de-dollarize the financial system to ensure stability.

By the way were you transacting in dollars? Dollars transactions are high risk for non-US banks - I have discussed this in other threads. It could explain them wanting to de-risk and close dollar clients down.

P.S Georgia has also been trying for years even when I lived there to de-dollarize the financial system to ensure stability.

Accurate. Best to use EUR or GBP for sending internationally between two non-USA countries or the currencies concerned (not always possible).

You're right, but it must be applicable to the loan system and not for commercial fields. Considering the re-export options and that majority of large companies are involved in export/import, keeping funds in foreign currency is common, as long as the accounts are not used as a bridge, no money is kept on the account, or funds are received from shady sources, the sole reason that funds are kept in foreign currency should never be a reason for account closure.

Latest Threads