Our valued sponsor

Got my Ledger cryptosteel what do you think?

JohnLocke

Administrator
Dec 29, 2008
Europe
Visit site
I got a Ledger cryptosteel today to secure my Ledger Nano S password phrases.

When I ordered it I didn't knew how it exactly works but now I see you have to put all the small tiles that will result in a word on this stick damn_(

All that said, it looks very stable, will be testing it by throwing it into the fire :)

Ledger cryptosteel - password phrase protection

I'm afraid this is not going to work, I'm on the phrase no. 18 out of 24 - how the heck should I get the last 5 words to fit there?
Ledger cryptosteel - 18 word phrases - no space for 24

There is no space for 24 word / phrases :rolleyes:

Really? It says to slide the first 4 letters of each word onto the core.:(

Easy to use

Simply assemble your recovery phrase by sliding the first 4 letters of each word onto the core by using separators. Lock the Cryptosteel capsule and make sure to put it in a secure place to prevent it from being stolen or lost.

Really? It says to slide the first 4 letters of each word onto the core.:(

Easy to use

Simply assemble your recovery phrase by sliding the first 4 letters of each word onto the core by using separators. Lock the Cryptosteel capsule and make sure to put it in a secure place to prevent it from being stolen or lost.
ahhh, yes, you're right.

But if that's how it works I'm afraid I can't trust it, because if I only see the first 4 letters of a word but there are most often two or three choices then chances are high that I pick the right word.

I don't get it what thoughts they have had. I also believe that not all wallets will show you the choices or even the right word with just 4 letters.

I will have to play a little around with it to see if I missed more.

I don't get it what thoughts they have had. I also believe that not all wallets will show you the choices or even the right word with just 4 letters.

They wanted to save money that's all smi(&%. With the first 4 letters you can genarally guess the entire word. The BIP39 standard word list for seeds only contains a list of 2048 possible words. So you can't really get the word wrong using first 4 letters.

This is correct BUT be careful since not all wallets handle this in the same way, yeah it's the standard and should work as long as you always use a ledger wallet but we all know how standards are handled

Ledger recovery key is BIP39/BIP44 compatible. You do not need a ledger ever again if you have your recovery key. Just enter recovery words into any hardware or software wallet that is compatible with BIP39/BIP44 standard (the majority) and access your crypto.

Reactions: khinkali
Ledger recovery key is BIP39/BIP44 compatible. You do not need a ledger ever again if you have your recovery key. Just enter recovery words into any hardware or software wallet that is compatible with BIP39/BIP44 standard (the majority) and access your crypto.
I know (I have that in the wallet I created), I was talking about the first 4 letters method because not all wallets handle that correctly even claiming they are BIP39/BIP44 compatible

I know (I have that in the wallet I created), I was talking about the first 4 letters method because not all wallets handle that correctly even claiming they are BIP39/BIP44 compatible

No I mean if you give someone first 4 letters you can guess the entire word and hence recover the seed phrase. The universe of words is small i.e 2048 in total.

Reactions: troubled soul
No I mean if you give someone first 4 letters you can guess the entire word and hence recover the seed phrase. The universe of words is small i.e 2048 in total.
Ah ok I got it know, you mean that with the 4 letters he can manually search the list, then that's ok. I was more concerned about writing the first 4 letters in a wallet directly because if the wallet don't auto complete the words then the addresses you get will be different

Maybe I'm not that logical, but I tried again to validate existing phrases, after I typed in 3 - 4 letters it suggest most often only one word but in at least 7 phrases I had 2 choices, if I enter it wrong I can't access my ledger nano s.

I can't trust this thing, but I do hope people can find use for it in each particular case :)

Terrible idea. Hardware wallet (any) is known as "reddit stick", it's basically a toy. The most secure way of storing cryptocurrency is via clean Ubuntu install and encrypted .dat/HD file, distributed for redundancy.

Have you not heard of the ledger hit list? They have no data protection whatsoever. If you ever bought ledger your home address, email and phone is on that public, easy to find list.

Terrible idea. Hardware wallet (any) is known as "reddit stick", it's basically a toy. The most secure way of storing cryptocurrency is via clean Ubuntu install and encrypted .dat/HD file, distributed for redundancy.

Have you not heard of the ledger hit list? They have no data protection whatsoever. If you ever bought ledger your home address, email and phone is on that public, easy to find list.
Bro, if you want something "secure" you wouldn't use Ubuntu in the first place...

And no, the most secure way is to do it manually in a paper where it never touches something that is connected to internet.

For 99% of the people even a non custodial wallet in a phone it's ok

Bro, if you want something "secure" you wouldn't use Ubuntu in the first place...

And no, the most secure way is to do it manually in a paper where it never touches something that is connected to internet.

For 99% of the people even a non custodial wallet in a phone it's ok
lol Ubuntu is literally the most secure and user-friendly OS out there. Debian is better in terms of privacy yes, Canonic had issues with privacy in the past but for avg non-techie Ubuntu is as secure as linux distros get.

No, it can be a) found out by accident b) destroyed by accident

pretty easily. Nothing beats encrypted dat file with Linux setup and distributed for redundancy, Vitalik (Buterin) et al keep 100s of millions worth of crypto that way.
I'm angry because people will receive meme advice like this and end up biting the bullet because they suddenly lost millions kept on a piece of paper on a book that made it to the dumpster.

Maybe I'm not that logical, but I tried again to validate existing phrases, after I typed in 3 - 4 letters it suggest most often only one word but in at least 7 phrases I had 2 choices, if I enter it wrong I can't access my ledger nano s.

I can't trust this thing, but I do hope people can find use for it in each particular case :)
As i said in different topic, cryptosteel is *not* reliable way to store seed.

Unfortunately you spend money for not best thing for metal recovery wallet device.

lol Ubuntu is literally the most secure and user-friendly OS out there. Debian is better in terms of privacy yes, Canonic had issues with privacy in the past but for avg non-techie Ubuntu is as secure as linux distros get.

No, it can be a) found out by accident b) destroyed by accident

pretty easily. Nothing beats encrypted dat file with Linux setup and distributed for redundancy, Vitalik (Buterin) et al keep 100s of millions worth of crypto that way.
I'm angry because people will receive meme advice like this and end up biting the bullet because they suddenly lost millions kept on a piece of paper on a book that made it to the dumpster.
You clearly didn't get the joke about the paper, you are saying that whoever wants something secure should have their coins in a .dat file encrypted in a clean ubuntu system which is 1000% OVERKILL for most of the people. The only way I would think to have such a setup is if I have millions in coins which 99.90% of the people don't have.

More people lost their keys cuz being so fearful of getting stolen than actually getting stolen.

Latest Threads