Our valued sponsor

Have anyone successfully leveraged Portugal NHR and paid 0% taxes?

The program was never intended for people who are still "active". NHR is for retirees who receive a pension, bank interest, perhaps a few dividends.
I don't know why so many people are attracted by this NHR - must have to do with internet chit-chat were wrong expectation were set right from the start.

Ahm? Maybe I'm doing this totally wrong, but I moved from Netherlands to Portugal as a freelancer under the NHR (with "high value added activity"). All my clients are still Dutch.

And essentially my main "state expenses" are now:
10% social security + 15% income tax (20% tax over 75% of revenue) over my revenue. I pay no VAT on business expenses. I also pay 0 EUR in public health insurance which works in all of the EU countries + CH + NO for emergencies.

So essentially I pay 25% to the Portuguese state over my revenue with 0 health insurance expenses.

This is WAY better than where I come from: Netherlands. With my income there I would pay 40 to 50% in income taxes, excluding social security, excluding 1500 EUR yearly in health insurance costs (and if I need healthcare you can easily add another 1500 EUR to that). Not to mention everything is way cheaper in Portugal. The kicker: my administrative burden has probably been reduced by like 99% compared to the Dutch situation (incredibly time consuming subsidies and company/tax administration for tech freelancers there).

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better deal to be had somewhere? I'm not really bound to any country personally, no family, easy to move in a heartbeat.

Ahm? Maybe I'm doing this totally wrong, but I moved from Netherlands to Portugal as a freelancer under the NHR (with "high value added activity"). All my clients are still Dutch.

10% social security + 15% income tax (20% tax over 75% of revenue) over my revenue. I pay no VAT on business expenses. I also pay 0 EUR in public health insurance which works in all of the EU countries + CH + NO for emergencies.

So essentially I pay 25% to the Portuguese state over my revenue with 0 health insurance expenses.

This is WAY better than where I come from: Netherlands. With my income there I would pay 40 to 50% in income taxes, excluding social security, excluding 1500 EUR yearly in health insurance costs (and if I need healthcare you can easily add another 1500 EUR to that). Not to mention everything is way cheaper in Portugal. The kicker: my administrative burden has probably been reduced by like 99% compared to the Dutch situation (incredibly time consuming subsidies and company/tax administration for tech freelancers there).

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better deal to be had somewhere? I'm not really bound to any country personally, no family, easy to move in a heartbeat.
Not sure if you are doing something wrong. You seem to be happy in Portugal and that is the most important thing.
Nevertheless, I urge you to pay attention to the title of this thread: It is about 0% tax which is only possible with passive income. What you describe is active income and you pay -according to your own explanation- 25%.

There are certainly better deals to be had, even within the EU. Look into CY, RO or BG which are all much lower. Even when you add state health insurance and/or add the cost for private health insurance it will be cheaper.
We can continue with countries outside of EU/EEA where even better deals can be had. However, this has to be approached with caution (probably not worth the effort) since your client base is almost exclusively based in the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdfdsgsafasfsa
If I could I would stay where I am now.... in Netherlands good schools, good infrastructure, centrally located, easy life but WEALTH TAX is a killer paying almost 2% every year to government just because you sit on the assets is a little bit unfair especially if you don't have cash flow to cover your tax obligations and the only way to pay for these tax bills is to sell a little bit of the assets you own.
It’s actually 1.65% max for persons holding over more then 1M in personal wealth. First 100k is actually tax free. But there are ways to avoid to pay this tax by using a company and loans, real estate investment in the Netherlands can be done pretty much tax free, rent income as well as the capital gains.

But if you have it just sitting in your bank account it’s best to leave it in a company, where it will stay untaxed unless you start making a return on that money.

Holy s**t this is nuts. Dutch people don't really own real estate or investments.. they just rent them from the government :confused:

To the op: Apparently NHR is a bit of a trap since it's limited in time, and it must really be only passive income. Nice place to live I guess but why do it unless it gives you some added benefit (you desperately need a EU residency, or really want to live there and eventually get the PT passport).
Your personal home stays untaxed only property used for investments this tax will be applied to which can be avoided by using debt from banks and a company.

Hey im in the same boat however still stuck in the Netherlands. Im a tech freelancer and asked an advisor if i can obtain NHR. He said no simply not possible. It seems u got a different guy for the matter and got it working. Can you explain how you fixed this or which person helped you?

Latest Threads