Our valued sponsor

Hidden/unknown gems where the rich people stay in Europe

abc123

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
I am looking at different relocation places.

This topic is not where you can save most tax but where you can enjoy life the most, settle with family, receive the best service, eat at the great places and walk in nice neighbourhoods.
Safety is key. Usually these places are what the locals consider as crème de la crème and what pops up on mind when they consider retirement for the richer. They are also not widely spoken about on different forums. They don't live off tourists meaning there is life here 365 days a year. Each large city usually has it's area for these types of people, wether it's politicians, entrepreneurs, investors or just living off old money.

So let's compile a list of cities.

Let me start.
Greece, Athens. 25-40 mins away from city centre and Suburb of Athens there is an area called Glyfada, Voula and Vouliagmeni. These three towns are also known as Athens Riviera.
Portugal, Lisbon. 40mins away there is an area called Cascais. This is where luxury meets life. Great surroundings. Nice walks and environment.

Continue.....

Reactions: JohnLocke
This topic is not where you can save most tax but where you can enjoy life the most, settle with family, receive the best service, eat at the great places and walk in nice neighbourhoods.
Safety is key. Usually these places are what the locals consider as crème de la crème and what pops up on mind when they consider retirement for the richer. They are also not widely spoken about on different forums. They don't live off tourists meaning there is life here 365 days a year. Each large city usually has it's area for these types of people, wether it's politicians, entrepreneurs, investors or just living off old money.

This is very subjective topic. Everybody has a different interpretation of what best service and nice neighborhoods are. Maybe narrow it down to people to people from a certain part of the world i.e Europe, America or even just the west for example.

Reactions: JackAlabama
Marbella has the best overall balance for me (if we talk EU). Never feels empty, plenty to do, well connected, good schools for kids/grandkids, great climate, etc. A bit hectic in August, but it's the same with all the seaside destinations in EU. La Zagaleta if the poshest neighbourhood, however there are plenty of nice areas with a reasonable budget. Generally very safe if you are not actively looking for trouble.
Would've moved there in a heartbeat save for taxes.

Amalfi coast is amazing, but only during the summer season.

Wouldn't call those two "unknown" though.

Halkidiki on the other side is an off-beat destination, good sea, food, cheap, friendly locals.

Marbella has the best overall balance for me (if we talk EU). Never feels empty, plenty to do, well connected, good schools for kids/grandkids, great climate, etc. A bit hectic in August, but it's the same with all the seaside destinations in EU. La Zagaleta if the poshest neighbourhood, however there are plenty of nice areas with a reasonable budget. Generally very safe if you are not actively looking for trouble.
Marbella is for gypsies that pretend to be richer than they are. And also for the folks who made it in the 90's and didn't get shot back then (ex-gang members). Not a safe area btw... maybe was some time ago but now every day there's a villa robbery, you can't even walk out for 2-3hrs without thinking about that you left something valuable on the kitchen table. Parking is non-existant, service is low quality and overpriced, real estate agents always looking to f**k you over, generally prices are high AF, outside your villa there's dog s**t everywhere. During summer it's a nightmare. At least the weather is ok.

Marbella is for gypsies that pretend to be richer than they are. And also for the folks who made it in the 90's and didn't get shot back then (ex-gang members). Not a safe area btw... maybe was some time ago but now every day there's a villa robbery, you can't even walk out for 2-3hrs without thinking about that you left something valuable on the kitchen table. Parking is non-existant, service is low quality and overpriced, real estate agents always looking to f**k you over, generally prices are high AF, outside your villa there's dog s**t everywhere. During summer it's a nightmare. At least the weather is ok.
You probably spent too much time in Puerto Banus or around - it's a tourist trap / vanity fair for British ex-gangsters, what would you expect? Pick a nice neighbourhood with good security and forget about dog s**t and robberies.
Service is average af, it's Spain, so don't expect high-end NY standards. Parking - I don't know, expect August time parking never was an issue.

Totally agree on prices and estate agents though.

Let me start.
Greece, Athens. 25-40 mins away from city centre and Suburb of Athens there is an area called Glyfada, Voula and Vouliagmeni. These three towns are also known as Athens Riviera.
Portugal, Lisbon. 40mins away there is an area called Cascais. This is where luxury meets life. Great surroundings. Nice walks and environment.

Continue.....
As others have said, very subjective. The north of Malta is over developed, but there are places that are quiet, with almost no crime and beautiful places to visit. Public transport is dirt cheap and people are very friendly, as long as you make the effort to be polite!! Or one of the Greek islands? Canary islands? Madeira? Wherever you go, the important thing is to integrate with the locals and make friends! Many years ago, I visited a community of retired Brits near Alicante. It was like a small part of the UK but in Spain. They kept themselves to themselves. They liked the weather, but underneath, I felt they were a very sad bunch of people!

I have experience with Portugal or Prague, some elites settle in Switzerland. Luxembourg comes to mind as well.
For vacations, Greece or Croatian coastline.

But as others have said, it's very subjective. I wouldn't give my personal experience much value.

I couldn't agree with you more. I know a lot of people that have moved in and moved out of Marbella, and let's not forget about taxes in Spain!
I can think of several other places before going to Marbella, everything you've mentioned is exactly how it is, sad but so true, I wouldn't even go there for a weekend (I lived there for many years btw) it's sad how nice it used to be, long ago!

If taxes are not an issue then Italy is really nice and diverse.
Great food, beautiful nature, ton of things explore - to do and see.
Also not very expensive.

I really don't like islands as I get bored quickly and I feel isolated.

Croatian coast is nice and they offer now freelance visas (tax free).

If you like nature - than Slovenia might be a nice pick - but generally boring.

If you don't mind the cold - Netherlands is a great place to be.

if this is the criteria for your question, then as already mentioned, I would say Italy, Greece, parts of the USA / California and not least France.

Boring is subjective. Some people enjoy the thrill of dealing with bureaucracy.
Actually, dealing with excessive bureaucracy is a good form of exercise and can be very educational. I spent years in France being treated like s**t by the Prefecture, Mairie and Hotel de Police, but it forced me to be extremely well organised and prepared and even more bureaucratic, arrogant and assertive than the bureaucrats themselves!! It was also the time I discovered the wonders of valium!!

;)

Actually, dealing with excessive bureaucracy is a good form of exercise and can be very educational. I spent years in France being treated like s**t by the Prefecture, Mairie and Hotel de Police, but it forced me to be extremely well organised and prepared and even more bureaucratic, arrogant and assertive than the bureaucrats themselves!! It was also the time I discovered the wonders of valium!!

;)
Sorry to hear about your addiction, hopefully you are now living somewhere where you can think more about life than bureaucracy.

Reactions: Radko and Steve3000

Let me start.

Continue.....
Monaco! there are no comparable place (for me) in the world

Latest Threads