Our valued sponsor

Hidden/unknown gems where the rich people stay in Europe

Marbella is for gypsies that pretend to be richer than they are. And also for the folks who made it in the 90's and didn't get shot back then (ex-gang members). Not a safe area btw... maybe was some time ago but now every day there's a villa robbery, you can't even walk out for 2-3hrs without thinking about that you left something valuable on the kitchen table. Parking is non-existant, service is low quality and overpriced, real estate agents always looking to f**k you over, generally prices are high AF, outside your villa there's dog s**t everywhere. During summer it's a nightmare. At least the weather is ok.
I find answers that are on the cynical side always funnier and more entertaining by default than positive ones

Reactions: Radko
I find answers that are on the cynical side always funnier and more entertaining by default than positive ones
I don't know much about Marbella, but we did borrow a house for two weeks, south of Alicante, a year after the Financial Crisis. c.2010? It was clear that the price of apartments and houses were almost zero. Very sad for the residents. Even more so after Brexit.

Re. 50K watches, Well, you have to ask 'Why'? If it make you feel that you have a bigger penis, then, go for it!

Otherwise, engage brain and stop being manipulated.

but we did borrow a house for two weeks, south of Alicante
Alicante was and is a shithole. The wealthy expats in Spain choose Marbella, Mallorca or something around Barcelona. Alicante was popular amongst Ukrainians and Russians - you could have got a 2-bed apartment for like 50k EUR back than.

Marbella is a good well-rounder in terms of weather, lifestyle, infrastructure, network, connection etc. It's safer than London for instance, but there is a problem with petty crime and house burglaries. Staying low-profile is a good approach, no need for being street-smart or looking behind your shoulder all the time.

Regarding 50k watches - it's one of the simplest way to transfer wealth, just put it on the wrist and there you go.

Reactions: Radko
As others have said, very subjective. The north of Malta is over developed, but there are places that are quiet, with almost no crime and beautiful places to visit. Public transport is dirt cheap and people are very friendly, as long as you make the effort to be polite!! Or one of the Greek islands? Canary islands? Madeira? Wherever you go, the important thing is to integrate with the locals and make friends! Many years ago, I visited a community of retired Brits near Alicante. It was like a small part of the UK but in Spain. They kept themselves to themselves. They liked the weather, but underneath, I felt they were a very sad bunch of people!
Was that Gran Alacant? I had the time of my life there with retired and not so retired Brits. There was this large bowls club where I got absolutely pissed on cava at 10 in the morning with people 30 years my senior. Good times.

My top picks:

- Lac d'Annecy
- Tirol during summer (underrated)
- Berchtesgaden
- Biarritz
- Gotland
- Vichy
- Koper
- Montenegro coast

Last edited:
Reactions: pipona

Latest Threads